Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Ottobre tank and shorts
My mom has had the surfboard fabric in her stash for at least a year but I could never decide what to make from it. A top for P would be logical but I worried that an all over print was a little babyish for him. Though after further thought I've decided to make a tank for him with navy blue binding on the neck line and the arm holes. But that's for another day.
The top is a modification of the free Ottobre Design tank top. Basically, I kept the top half of the pattern the same and cut a separate bottom half that is an A-line and also wider than the top half. I gathered the bottom half before sewing it on and then topped the seam line with ric rac. The neck line and arm holes are finished with FOE.
I had originally cut out a size 92 but forgot to take into consideration that stabilizing the seam line across the middle with interfacing would take up all the stretch. I basted the sides of the original top and tried it on B and barely managed to pull it on. The side seams then popped when I took it off her! So, I cut a bigger size out and even added about an inch on either side to give a bit more ease through the bodice. If I make another tank like this I'll probably use clear elastic to stabilize the seam and see if that helps.
The khaki shorts are my second attempt at this pattern (Ahoy shorts, 03/09). I omitted the belt loops and tie but otherwise followed all the instructions. It's a great pattern for basic shorts with pockets.
Posted by Cindy at 8:52 AM