Monday, September 7, 2009

Sewing Swimsuits

Earlier this summer while on a fabric buying spree, I purchased 2 yards of swimsuit fabric from Chez Ami.  I had never attempted to sew a swimsuit and had no plans of trying this summer.  However, due to B having a growth spurt and M's current suits not holding up too well both needed new ones for our Labor Day camping trip to NC's Outer Banks. 

I had 2 patterns from Ottobre Design picked out...#20 in the 02/04 issue and #38 in the 03/09 issue.  The plan was to sew #20 first in a size 92 and see which girl it fit best.  Swimsuit

It fit both girls but over all the swimsuit looked best on B's more rounded body.  I went ahead and traced off a 98 for the next swimsuit from the 03/09 issue hoping that it would fit M well and still allow a bit of growing room since summer is coming to an end.

Swimsuit, Take 2

I did make one minor alteration to the pattern.  Instead of cutting 4 straps out and having them tie on top of the shoulders, I cut 2 which turned out to be a good length and stitched them in place. 

006

Quick note:  It looks like M is significantly taller than B in this picture...as one would expect with a 2 year age difference.  However, B is standing in a hole.  There is only about an inch difference in height and B weighs a couple of pounds more than her big sister.  Their trunks are about the same length but M's legs are a little longer which is why I started with the size 92 suit and went from there. 

Sewing the swimsuits was a lot easier than I'd expected.  I did learn a few things that will make the next batch better.  My first attempt with sewing the elastic on was around the neckline of the first swimsuit.  I zig-zagged it to the wrong side of the fabric then folded it under and zig-zagged again on the right side.  However, I stitched too close to the inside edge which caused the elastic to flip forward a bit.
002

Also, on M's suit I did a horrible job of basting the crotch lining in.  It was so bad that when I did the elastic on the legs and flipped it to the inside, I still didn't catch all of the raw edges.  So, I flipped it again...and still managed to miss a small section.  The more I think about it the problem might have been that I put the lining in the wrong way.  I was in such a hurry that I didn't label my pattern tracings very well and eyeballed which end was the front. 

Overall, I'm happy with the end results and will be making the girls' swimsuits for next summer.

4 comments:

  1. The swimsuits look really, really good! I might even try it next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both swimsuits came out great! I also sewed a swimsuit for the first time this summer for my dd, and like you, it was easier than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!

    Alisa, It really is easy.:) I found this blog helpful: http://creativechicksatplay.blogspot.com/2009/04/sew-your-own-swimsuit.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both costumes are so, so cute, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!