Saturday, January 2, 2010

Made to Match


A couple of months ago, I had purchased matching leggings for B and M from Target.  I thought they might have shirts already that would match.  Turns out they didn't.  No problem though, off to the sewing machine.

OD 01/05 #13
It was hard to find fabric that matched. The print, while cute, has colors that are hard to match exactly.


  I gave up on finding that perfect match and used what I had on hand.  The purple interlock was from my mom's stash and the lime green ribbing is left over from K's SWAP.  I've gotten a lot of use out of those scraps.  I used some for the cuffs and neckline of M's nightgown too.


M's top is upcycled from an old sweater of mine.  I got the idea for the embellishment from the latest Australian Smocking & Embroidery magazine and this top.  I made the shirt and then took a washable marker and drew lines across the yoke.  I had some green embroidery floss in my stash and used that to smock.

It's not perfect but I achieved the look I was aiming for...adding a bit of interest to the yoke.



There were a few changes I made to the Ottobre Design pattern.  I traced the bottom front piece with out the extra width because I didn't want to gather it.  I also did not put a zipper in the back of the shirt.  If you use a stretchy knit, there's no need for the zipper. 



1 comment:

  1. LOVE that smocked yoke! What a great design detail! Those are some cute girls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!