Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ahoy! Rosalind

I did end up making a fabric store run on Thursday to purchase thread that matches the greenish twill I'm going to use for P's pants.  I didn't have any luck finding a cotton woven boy print so I bought a solid that matches.  Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to start sewing the pants.

I spent this afternoon working on the Ahoy! shorts.  I've made 2 pairs of these shorts previously and it was no big deal.  However, this time around I had decided to use up some leftover heavier weight denim from K's Minna skirt.  I do not recommend doing that!  After running into too many problems trying to sew through multiple layers of the denim, I scrapped them.  I don't think they would have been very comfortable anyhow.

I did finish the pair of pink twill ones.  I even figured out how to use the buttonholer on my machine!lol  In the 10+ years that I have had my machine, I'd never even looked at the instructions for sewing buttonholes.  Usually, I use my mom's machine.  It's computerized and oh so easy.  It took me an hour or so of playing around but now I know how.

B in Ahoy! shorts and Rosalind T-shirt

Yes, I realize the shirt doesn't technically match the shorts.  It looks okay in the photo...the flowers are really red not pink in real life.  But since I was having B try on the shorts I figured I might as well put the shirt on her.  I think the shirt will fit M better since she is a little wider through the shoulders.  On B, the neckline isn't lying flat.
The shorts are not perfect by any means.  I had the button holes centered but they slipped a little and my top stitching isn't always straight.  They also need a wash to remove the markings and a thorough loose thread cleaning.  Which reminds me of a little trick my mom taught me...Keep one of those lint/pet hair rollers handy in your sewing room.  They're great for removing all those loose threads.

3 comments:

  1. Love those little pink shorts. They look just like RTW. I'm going to have to check out that pattern for Audrey.
    See ya,
    Peachy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shorts. They look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!