I spent this afternoon working on the Ahoy! shorts. I've made 2 pairs of these shorts previously and it was no big deal. However, this time around I had decided to use up some leftover heavier weight denim from K's Minna skirt. I do not recommend doing that! After running into too many problems trying to sew through multiple layers of the denim, I scrapped them. I don't think they would have been very comfortable anyhow.
I did finish the pair of pink twill ones. I even figured out how to use the buttonholer on my machine!lol In the 10+ years that I have had my machine, I'd never even looked at the instructions for sewing buttonholes. Usually, I use my mom's machine. It's computerized and oh so easy. It took me an hour or so of playing around but now I know how.
B in Ahoy! shorts and Rosalind T-shirt
Yes, I realize the shirt doesn't technically match the shorts. It looks okay in the photo...the flowers are really red not pink in real life. But since I was having B try on the shorts I figured I might as well put the shirt on her. I think the shirt will fit M better since she is a little wider through the shoulders. On B, the neckline isn't lying flat.
The shorts are not perfect by any means. I had the button holes centered but they slipped a little and my top stitching isn't always straight. They also need a wash to remove the markings and a thorough loose thread cleaning. Which reminds me of a little trick my mom taught me...Keep one of those lint/pet hair rollers handy in your sewing room. They're great for removing all those loose threads.