Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Mandarine" and "Pumpulipilvi"

Yesterday, I started on the "Mandarine" pants and "Pumpulipilvi" tunic that are part of my middle daughter's spring SWAP.  I used what's left of an Ikea sheet for the pants and a print that I had purchased from Jo-Anns last year for the tunic.
02/05 #14 pants and 01/10 #11 tunic

I caught part of the pants in the serger blade and made a little hole just to the back of the side seam.  I hand stitched it closed but wasn't happy with the little pucker left.  I hadn't planned on embellishing the pants but decided to go ahead so that I could cover the boo-boo.
I'm glad that I did as it breaks up all that green!  The pants are also a little shorter than the pattern.  I had thought I was being so smart by cutting the pants out using the bottom hem of the sheet.  I'd totally forgotten that these pants had a casing on the bottom.  Oops!  I cut off the hem and then made the casing.  There again, my mistake actually turned out to be a good thing.  I'm happier with the shorter length and think they'll be more comfortable during our hot and humid summers.

I do plan on shortening the ties.  They're too long right now.  I was surprised that M didn't complain about them tickling her legs. 

With the tunic, I did the shirring  Millie's way...a continuous corkscrew.  It's definitely the way to go.  I also added the elastic to the neck casing which I didn't with my muslin.  Once again Millie is right...the elastic finishes off the neckline nicely.   Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. So, so cute! Way to go using up the rest of the sheet. Your cutting mistake turned into a cute embellishment too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good save on the serger boo-boo! *high five* The outfit is really adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful outfit. I love the colours and the embellishment too. I am glad that my experience could help you, I suppose that's what blogging is all about....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute... I've nipped things before with my serger. You covered your boo-boo nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. M is so cute and the outfit is great - I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!