Monday, March 1, 2010

Operation Sewing Room, Part 2

I've managed to fit all of my fabric stash into 2 pieces of furniture.  There's a chest of drawers in the closet...


...with fabric in all 4 drawers plus scraps and swimsuit fabric in bags on top.  This is all of my knit fabric.

Then there's the vanity/dresser that has 7 drawers total.


This is my wovens, fleece, corduroy, and flannel.  The shallow drawer has a binder with patterns I've printed off the internet and various notions.  It's nice to have the fabric in drawers instead of totes.  I've made a promise to myself that I will not buy any more fabric unless it fits in these 2 pieces of furniture.  We'll see how long that lasts...

While cleaning up I came across a dress my mother sewed/smocked for me when I was a child.

This is part of what I love about sewing.  My mom put her time and love into making this for me to wear as a child.  Years (we won't go in to how many) later, my daughters are able to wear it too.  If it was a store bought dress, it wouldn't be as special to me.  Who knows?  Maybe my granddaughters will be able to wear the dress.  That is, if it makes it through B wearing it!

5 comments:

  1. Well done. Don't you just love an organised stash!
    Most of mine is in the plastic bags it was bought or given in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...The dress looks beautiful. I see where you get it from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stash looks awesome! I always enjoy reorganizing mine. I always find something I had forgotten. It's almost as fun as buying new fabric! That dress is lovely. Your mom is very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I desperately need to get my fabric closet straightened up. That dress is a real treasure!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting to get a sewing room of your own!

    I love the dress. I have several dresses that my Oma made for me (my mom doesn't sew.) My girls use them mainly for dress-up clothes now, but I still love seeing them wear them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!