Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Why I Sew

I was at the mall last week with a friend and we popped into Crazy8 to look at the clothes.  Most of what I saw was cute but didn't grab me.  I checked the clearance rack in the boy's section and came across knit shorts for $1.99.  I can't sew shorts for P for that price!  I ended up purchasing a 7/8 and figured that they would probably be too big in the waist.  They were.

Luckily, I can rip the waistband out and resize the elastic band to make them fit.  The pair of shorts on top are the ones that I fixed.  I'll probably tackle the blue ones when we come home from our trip.

RTW (ready to wear) clothes are often not a good fit on my kids.  That's the main reason why I sew.  No one should have to go through life wearing clothes that aren't the right size for their body.  I'm glad that I have the skills (meager that they are) to tailor and to sew clothing for them. 

On another note, we will be celebrating Miss M's 5th birthday while in FL.  I had big plans of whipping out a pink shirt with an appliqued #5 on it for her to wear on the actual day.  Being sick pushed those plans to the back of my to-do list.  I was in luck though.  Yesterday, while volunteering at a local consignment sale, I found the perfect shirt...

...and have one less thing to do.  I'm keeping it a surprise until the big day.

Thanks for the get well wishes.:)  I'm feeling much better.  My mom took the little girls on Monday and had them stay the night too.  That gave me enough time to recover and left me able to finish up with my consignment items.  Sewing is on hold until I've packed the family for our trip.  I'm hoping to make a little something before we leave though!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done...Great T-shirt. We have similar problems with waist-bands on RTW stuff. I'm glad you are feeling better and I'm sure everyone is looking forward to your trip to FL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading a while and enjoying it very much. The t-shirt is so sweet.
    You mentioned that you can't sew shorts for $1.99...
    I assume you know, but http://www.chezami.com has a clearance section at $3.50/yd all the time. It's 60" wide...that's a lot of clothing pieces. We're making shirts/shorts here in about 20 min. for less than $1 with it. Our sizes are a bit smaller (4 and slim 6), so we get more out of our yardage.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!