Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Strawberries and Sewing



Yesterday, I started the day with another activity that starts with a S...strawberry picking!









Grandma and B

Strawberry picking is something we try and do every year.  The kids love to go and eat as many (if not more) berries than they pick. 

I also worked on a top for K that's been on my to-do list for a while.  It's #30 from Ottobre Design issue 01/09.  It needs a few tweaks.  I was hoping that it would be possible for her to wear it without a top underneath but the neckline is a little floppy and the armholes gape.  Also, even though the shirring is stretchy it almost didn't fit over her shoulders and a few stitches were popped as she struggled to pull it on.  I eventually went back and ripped all the shirring out, as you can see in the last picture. 


K likes the top both ways, with and without the shirring.  She wanted to wear it today over a t-shirt but there's still a blue line where I marked my first row to shir and I didn't finish the hem.  I'm trying to figure out what tweaks will make the pattern fit a little better.  I'm thinking that if I take in the side seams a little right below her armpits and make the straps shorter that will eliminate the gaps on the sides and bring the neckline piece up to a wider part of her chest so that it lies flatter.  What do you think? 

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh...they look so good! We won't be doing that for another month and a half and they probably won't look so big and juicy up here :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!