Monday, June 28, 2010

It all started with...

...these capris.

K got the capris in a bag of hand-me-downs from a friend.  She likes them and they fit perfectly but the light lime green doesn't go with any of her shirts.  White is always an option but she only has one white t-shirt.  What's a sewing mom to do?  Why, go look in her fabric stash of course!

I had a Chez Ami stripe that had that particular green in it along with blue and orange.   I decided to try out the Oliver + S Sailboat Top.  Of course, we're smack dab in the middle of a heat wave (hello 95 degree + temps) so sleeveless was the way to go.


I used the biggest size (an 8) and added a little extra to the overall length by pinning the hem facing right under the pattern hem line to give me the length I needed while retaining the curve.  For the armholes, I simply cut a strip of orange knit fabric out and sewed it to the armhole with right sides facing.  I then turned it under and let a little bit of the orange roll out before top stitching.  Luckily with the knit fabric I don't have to worry about the unfinished edge on the underside unravelling.  We'll see how well it holds up.





I had planned on using 4 green buttons but only had 3 that matched so I went with 2 orange and 2 green.  Now K has a shirt to match her green capris

3 comments:

  1. Really cute top. It looks like it fits well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the buttons on the shoulders! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mix and match buttons was a great idea for this really cute top!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!