Friday, June 11, 2010

Wants vs. Needs


I've been enjoying the past week with only the little girls at home.  Yesterday, we went for a hike in the woods.  I was so proud of my youngest...she walked the entire time with no complaining.   Both girls (with the exception of B's shorts) are wearing handmade clothes.

B's top is from a pattern my mom used to sew for me (grandma also sewed this top) and M is wearing her "Girl Power" shirt with shorts made from my tutorial.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed these days.  We're headed on a cross-country trip the beginning of July and trying to cram all that I want done into these next 3 weeks is stressful.   The only things on my plate that have to be done are the kids' award assemblies at school, B's speech evaluation, and K's ophthalmologist appointment.  Everything else qualifies as a want.  A big want, that I'd like to squeeze in, is a professional photo of the kids.  It's been 2 years since I've had one done...
M4

B was quite bald in those days!  I don't have a current picture of her alone either.  Used to be when I only had 3 children, I took them every 6 months to have a portrait done or in the case of the elder children bought their school pictures.  *sigh* 

It would also be nice to finish the bunk beds I was working on stripping.  One set is a few hours away from being done.  If, I can find a few hours to work on it.  Someone had asked a while back what I finally found that worked for stripping paint off of furniture.  This is what worked best for me:  Apply the cheapest (also the most chemical laden) stripper heavily and let it sit until the paint starts to blister.  In my case it took about 30 minutes.  Scrape the blistered paint off.  Then using coarse steel wool, scrub at the remaining paint dipping into a dish of the stripper as needed.  After the wood dried, I used a power sander to get the few spots that were left.   The biggest problem is that you need a big chunk of time to work on it and the chemical stripper is nasty.  After about 2 hours of working with the stripper, it burned through a pair of stripping gloves I was wearing!

And of course there's a nice, long list of sewing I'd like to do:
  1. B's Girl Power T-shirt
  2. A T-shirt for P
  3. Oliver + S 2+2 blouses for M and B
  4. Oliver + S Sailor Top for K
  5. Outfit from Australian Smocking & Embroidery magazine
  6. Swimsuits for all 3 girls
  7. Cover up for myself
It's tough not adding more to my list of wants.  There's so much that would be great to do but not at the expense of what little sanity I have left!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck getting at least part of your wants done! I know how this feels! Your kids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling! It's good that you already have it somewhat prioritized. Then get done what has to get done and just pick away at the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is difficult to balance the wants and the needs. I think once the schools break up, we think we'll never get e moment to do anything....except entertain kids! Reality is different, I think!? Our's are in school until the end of June. The girls look great on their hike...it's always lovely when they're big enough to walk and not complain!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!