Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The post where I once again...

...point out all the mistakes I made with another completed project.  What is it about not being able to simply enjoy a finished project?  I'm happy with how it looks but can't help but highlight where I screwed up!

Nightengale Tunic

Nightingale Tunic, Ottobre Design #16 04/09

I made this for M in a size 98.  I finished the tunic a couple of weeks ago and was waiting to complete a matching pair of Tulip pants in a dark blue pin cord before sharing a picture.  However, I haven't made any progress on the pants beyond cutting them out.  I pretty much faithfully followed the pattern.  I did add a little length to the frill pattern piece so that it ruffled better.

My mistake was in the invisible zipper.  Recently, a lady at our church gifted me with some of her sewing supplies.  She is no longer physically able to sew and none of her children or grandchildren are interested in sewing so she thought of me.  I have masses of zippers and trims in my sewing room now plus several smocking plates and patterns.  I decided to use one of the invisible zippers that I had on hand even though the color doesn't match.  After all, since it's invisible the only part that shows on the outside is the zipper pull and that can be changed with a little bit of nail polish.  My mistake is that I didn't line it up correctly and the zipper doesn't go all the way to the top. 

It's not a tragic mistake.  I sewed a little hook and eye at the top and when Miss M has it on, no one will be the wiser.  ;-)

7 comments:

  1. I think it's SO pretty...no one will notice the zipper ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pam.:) I tend to be overly critical when it comes to my sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you covered your mistake brilliantly - nobody (apart from all the people who've read your blog) will ever know that this wasn't intentionally done.

    How kind of the lady to give you her old supplies. I bet she's pleased that they're being used already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful tunic! Really, really sweet. Seriously, I don't think anyone sews something perfectly. Everything has it's mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg, Luckily, I don't think anyone I know who might see Bren in the tunic reads this blog. Or if they do, I've already pointed out the mistake!lol

    Alisa, Thanks. I think I'm my own worst critic. Mistakes didn't use to bother me but the more sewing I do the more I feel like those little mistakes have their own neon, flashing sign pointing at them.

    Thank you Debbie and Teri!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!