Friday, November 12, 2010

Sewing for my Boy

P was running a bit short (literally) with pants.  He's down to 3 pairs that definitely fit and one that's a little iffy these days.  So, I really have to stay current on laundry or else P won't have any clean pants.  I pulled out the Oliver + S Sandbox pants pattern that I previously used and added about 4 inches to the length.  Using some of the fabric I purchased for my birthday a few weeks ago, we ended up with...
The fabric is a super soft, brushed twill from The Fabric Fairy.  I had a little trouble finding a suitable fabric for the pocket linings and the waistband.  P is 9 and a half and I have to be careful that I don't pick too juvenile of a print or he won't wear it.  Luckily, I found a great color match and decent print at JA's.

Yesterday, we travelled on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and spent the day on the Eastern Shore.  We were lucky enough to see a ship passing over the first tunnel.
On the Eastern Shore, we visited several wildlife refuges and walked on the trails.  BK wore her hoodie (I fixed the pockets) and it was the perfect weight for the cool day.
WWII Bunker
Salt Marsh

M & B at Kiptopeke State Park

B looking for wildlife

The perfect end to a perfect day.


6 comments:

  1. My sons are in the same straits with their pants. It's hard to keep up when they wear holes in the knees and grow out of them as soon as you stitch them!

    Those are handsome pants with just the right amount of (manly) contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *just* did a post on sewing for my son! Cool! He needed some new britches, too. I haven't tried the Sandbox pants. They look really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great trousers.
    Aren't boys amazing...one minute they have trousers and then suddenly ...none!
    Lovely to see photos of your day out. It looks like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, Isn't that the truth! One of these days I'll tackle those Guitar jeans from OD. I considered it this time but figured since he needed some right away, I'd better stick to a tried and true pattern.

    Heather, Thanks! I like the pattern and it's a quick sew.

    Millie, Ha! Yes, it seems like he either has a drawer full or none. I don't seem to have that problem with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pants! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great pair of pants with the same pattern. You've had your money's worth with the Sandbox pants pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!