Friday, January 14, 2011

Addendum to the Dortje post

When I was ready to trace off the Dortje pattern, I remembered why I hadn't really sewn anything from the book.

View of the pattern with my tracing paper over it:

You can barely see the pattern!

There were complaints when the book first came out about the use of tissue paper for the patterns vs. a heavier paper.  I don't really care for tissue paper but can see where, from a space and cost perspective, it's probably a better choice.  TP (double entendre intended) is not going to deter me.  What I don't like is that the patterns are lightly printed and that it's hard to differentiate between the sizes. 

I ended up going back (even though I hate writing on patterns) and tracing over the size I wanted with a permanent marker.

Not my first choice, but it works.

3 comments:

  1. I found the pattern paper in the book was very light, but I use greaseproof paper (baking paper) and I was able to see through that ok. I love the trousers you made. I've only made the Feliz so far from the book, as my daughter doesn't wear a lot of trousers.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have been thinking about getting this book but have been a little put off by the riot of colours, patterned fabrics and quite fussy looking skirts. But you have sold me it on these trousers they look so fab and I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, I use freezer paper and I guess that it's just a little too thick. I'll have to pick up parchment paper then next time I'm at the store. I've been wanting to try making a Feliz...maybe this summer. My oldest was a dress only girl until about 3rd grade.:)

    madebymum, Thanks! Yes, it's a little hard to visualize the clothes without the embellishments but I think the patterns are good, solid ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!