Friday, January 14, 2011

Dortje for M and B

I finally got around to doing 2 things:  sewing a full pattern from Sewing Clothes Kids Love and posting a review on Pattern Review

It's a little sad that I've had the book for about 8 months and other than a half-hearted attempt of merging 2 patterns, I hadn't really sewn anything from it.  It's probably even more sad that I've been a member of Pattern Review for *cough, cough* 2 years and never contributed anything. 

But that's all in the past!


back
front

"Pattern Description:
From Sewing Clothes Kids Love..."The Dortje Trousers design is a pair of trousers that really fits and flatters! The silhouette grows with the girl. Design-wise, Dortje offers almost limitless possibilities."

Pattern Sizing:
18 months to size 12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I didn't rely too much on the instructions. You don't really need them if you're comfortable sewing pants. These instructions looked to be pretty typcial.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the different ways you could embellish these pants. While I can appreciate all the colorful examples in the book, my personal taste is pretty tame. I did use different color threads for topstitching in order to match the polka dots in the accent fabric.

Fabric Used:
Cotton twill

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I traced a 3T-4T for width and a 5T-6 for length and ended up adding an additional 1 1/2-2 inches to the bottom after comparing the traced off pattern to an Ottobre Design pants pattern I had previously traced off and sewn. While my 2 youngest daughters' measurements fall into the 3T-4T range, there's no way the Dortje pants would have been long enough.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes

Conclusion:
The knee panels were a little finicky to sew together but I am loving how the finished garment turned out. It's a good basic pattern that can be built upon to make many different looks."

I made them with B in mind but M claimed that she wanted to wear them before I hemmed the pants yesterday so I took that into consideration when deciding how deep to make the hem.  M and B are virtually the same height but M's legs are longer.  Of course, come this morning M didn't want to wear the Dortje pants.  So....

Old Marley coming to check things out
Miss Sassy Pants
The length is right on for M but a little long, as you can see, on B

I'm happy with the fit and before I know it, the length will be fine on B too.   And not to leave M out...
 Wearing hand-me-down Gymboree from big sis

2 comments:

  1. These are really cute pants! I like the use of the different fabrics. And keeping the colors the same means you'll be able to match the pants to more tops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, so professionally made, Cindy!!! Extra padding at the knees is such a good idea for kids' pants.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!