Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sewing for me

Another great way to celebrate the New Year is to finally sew for myself.  I've had the Billy Cardi tutorial from No Big Dill bookmarked since it was first posted in October.  I even went so far as to purchase the fabric in November but then with the holidays, the project was forgotten. 

I went to pull it out during the week after Christmas but didn't have any thread that even came close to matching.  I ran out of both black and brown thread Christmas Eve whipping up these pjs so yesterday Miss M accompanied me as I ran errands, with the first stop being the fabric store.

With purple thread in hand, here is what I made this afternoon...


I started with the Built by Wendy crew neck t-shirt pattern and extended the sleeves.  I then added some width and extended the necklines as per the tutorial.  The edges are all left unfinished with the exception of the shoulder seams.  Here's a closeup of the decorative stitch I used to finish the seams:


I usually dress casual, typically in t-shirts and jeans or some variation of that.  I think the Billy Cardi will be a nice layer and a little dressier than my usual hoodie.  It would probably look even better with a skinny belt (something my wardrobe is lacking) as it would give a little definition to the waistline. 

It's a quick project to sew and I'm excited to have a new piece to wear!

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, very pretty! There's a pattern just like this in the BurdaStyle mag I just got from the library. I think you've convinced me to trace it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Cindy! Way to go, sewing for yourself. I never do. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely cardi, and looks dressy, even without a belt. Thanks for the link to the tutorial - she makes it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, Definitely go for it! I'm wearing it again today.:)

    Alisa, I didn't necessarily make any resolutions to do it, but I'd like to try and sew for myself a little more this year. I don't see me cranking out clothes like Joy or Katie but I would like to make a few pieces of clothing that aren't for the kiddos. I'd also like to finish a quilt I started years ago. It'll be nothing to compare to the gorgeous ones you and your sister make but it would nice to finally complete it.

    Angela, Thanks! It is as easy as she makes it look. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cardi is lovely. The neckline is so pretty and flattering. Thank you for recently visiting my blog. I hope to see you there again sometime! Megan (www.meggipeg.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!