Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ice Cream with a pair of Plum

For a while there, I didn't think I'd ever finish these pants.  


But yesterday, with the girls all healthy, we made our weekly pilgrimage to Grandma's and I had a few hours of uninterrupted sewing time.


Plum Cargo Pants OD 01/11 #13

I wanted to sew these since I first layed eyes on the pattern but thought they wouldn't pass M's stringent  requirements for any new clothes.  However, she did indeed like them.   Perhaps it was the bows on the pockets?  I used a bottomweight from my mom's stash (I believe it's a twill from Jo-Ann's).  To tie into the aqua tops I have sewn recently, all the topstitching is in aqua thread. 


I adore the back pockets!

Topstitching is time consuming but worth it for the overall effect.  It certainly adds a little more polish to a pair of pants.  I do think there's a small mistake in the pattern.  The markings for the tie placement on the side pocket is lower than it should be.  I ended up laying the pocket pieces out and referencing the photo of the pants in the magazine to get the placement right. 

The bottom weight twill is a little stiff and makes the ties hard to tie in a bow.  The pattern calls for a soft outerwear fabric.  I still haven't quite figured out what that is!  My concern with sewing pants for the kids is that it needs to be substantial enough that they won't rip a hole in the knees the first time they wear them.  My crew plays hard!

I sewed a size 104 and don't think I made any alterations in the length.  That's the problem of working on a project over a span of time...I forget if I did any modifications.  [ETA:  I double checked against the pattern and I had added approx. 2 inches to the length.]  I did use buttonhole elastic in the waistband.  I made my buttonholes where the markings are on the waistband pattern piece for ending the elastic.  It wasn't on purpose.  I just hadn't read all the way through the pattern instructions and assumed that the markings were for buttonhole elastic!  That's a happy mistake though and works out really well. 

15 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous pair of pants! Your top stitching is perfect! It really does add that special something to make the pants a textile work of art.

    I wish I could make a weekly trip to my mama's for some uninterrupted sewing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! I love the aqua topstitching. I totally agree that topstitching is worth the time, and those pants prove it. They look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an amazing job on those pants. The detail stitching looks great and so do those back pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every detail of these pants is so cute and they are so well executed--definitely worth the time. The fit is really charming, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY PRETTY!!! You did an amazing job on these pants! Ah, and the girl... She's gorgeous too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christphi, Thanks! Yep, we're pretty blessed to have my parents right around the corner and active in their grandchildren's lives. The only problem is my mom has to divide her time between myself and the kids. Today, BK told me that Ga-Ga was hers and that she couldn't "play sewing" with me anymore!

    Katie & Alisa, As much as I grumble while topstitching clothes, it's certainly worth it. Thanks!

    Jennifer, Thank you! I was holding my breath as M tried them on for the first time, hoping that the fit wouldn't be too big.

    Sandra, :) Thanks! We think she's gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like these - classic cargoes with some girly details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my goodness these are so cute! You did a great job. I honestly thought you had bought them. So professionally finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joy, Now maybe I'll tackle some cargo pants for Patrick.

    Jenny, Thank you for the sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work, beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are fabulous! What pattern did you use? I love them!!!

    and your daughter is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jessica, Thanks! They are from the Ottobre Design magazine, spring 2011 children's issue. The pants are design #13.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job with the topstiching!At the magazin i didn't realize how cute is this pant.But i love your version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Krisz! I'm quite happy with them and the fit is really good. They are a lot of work though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!