For a while there, I didn't think I'd ever finish these pants.
But yesterday, with the girls all healthy, we made our weekly pilgrimage to Grandma's and I had a few hours of uninterrupted sewing time.
|Plum Cargo Pants OD 01/11 #13|
I adore the back pockets!
Topstitching is time consuming but worth it for the overall effect. It certainly adds a little more polish to a pair of pants. I do think there's a small mistake in the pattern. The markings for the tie placement on the side pocket is lower than it should be. I ended up laying the pocket pieces out and referencing the photo of the pants in the magazine to get the placement right.
The bottom weight twill is a little stiff and makes the ties hard to tie in a bow. The pattern calls for a soft outerwear fabric. I still haven't quite figured out what that is! My concern with sewing pants for the kids is that it needs to be substantial enough that they won't rip a hole in the knees the first time they wear them. My crew plays hard!
I sewed a size 104 and don't think I made any alterations in the length. That's the problem of working on a project over a span of time...I forget if I did any modifications. [ETA: I double checked against the pattern and I had added approx. 2 inches to the length.] I did use buttonhole elastic in the waistband. I made my buttonholes where the markings are on the waistband pattern piece for ending the elastic. It wasn't on purpose. I just hadn't read all the way through the pattern instructions and assumed that the markings were for buttonhole elastic! That's a happy mistake though and works out really well.