Monday, February 14, 2011

Sporty Goodie Hoodie

Instead of my usual modus operandi of randomly choosing a pattern that I want to make and using fabric from my stash, I enlisted K and the internet.  My oldest daughter loves to wear hoodies and most days she tops whatever shirt she's wearing with one.  I double checked that she would like #34 in the new spring issue from Ottobre Design and then went about finding some quality fleece to use.  From back in the day when I used to sew cloth diapers, I knew that Malden Mills fleece is considered the holy grail of fleece.  However, it can be hard to find especially at a reasonable price.  Using the power of the internet, I found Mill Direct Textiles which is located in Massachusetts and is a cornucopia of quality fleece!  K picked which color she wanted (solitude) and I ordered it plus a swatch pack for future fleece needs.
DSCN3233
The hoodie is cut slim and has invisible zippers along the front raglan seams.  I traced off a 152 for length and thought that I'd probably end up taking it in some.  K's broad through the shoulders but slim through the chest and waist. 
DSCN3232
I didn't do any adjustments and it's a good thing because I don't know if she'd be able to get it off without any help if I had. 
DSCN3231
There's some extra fabric under her armpits and along the side seams but she needs that to shimmy out of the hoodie.
DSCN3235
Ignore our messy house in the background!  K is also wearing a shirt and tunic from way back in 2009 that I made as part of a fall SWAP (sewing with a plan).

I've ensured that spring is on it's way by sewing a warm hoodie suitable for wintertime.  In fact, today it's supposed to be in the upper 60s here.  K will have to wait for a cooler day to wear her new hoodie to school.


1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to try this one! Yours came out great :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!