Friday, March 18, 2011

Hopscotch Meet Up with Tutorial

Ever since finishing K's Meet Up tunic and realizing that I had enough left over fabric to make a similar top for one of the little girls, my mind has been envisioning this:

Hopscotch Meet Up

It's really simple to do. 

I started with the Oliver + S Hopscotch top pattern and cut out the yoke, back, sleeves, & binding from a knit.  The front panel I cut from a woven (AMH voile) adding 4 inches (2 inches on the fold) to the width.


I stitched the front yoke and neckline together exactly as the pattern says. 

I finished the lower front of the yoke with a zig-zag stitch.
If I had a serger, I definitely would use it here!

Next up, I did a rolled hem on the top edge of the front panel.

And here!

I sewed 2 lines of gathering stitches near the top of the front panel, about an inch/inch and a half in from the sides and pulled them up.

I marked along the yoke's edge 1/2 an inch up with a disappearing ink marker and then pinned the front panel on top of the yoke.  The rolled hem should be right against the marked line.




Make sure your gathers are distributed evenly!

I then sewed the panel to the yoke with a straight stitch, using my presser foot as a guide against the rolled hem edge.

From this point on, I was back to following the directions for the Hopscotch top.  I used the seam/overlock stitch on my sewing machine to sew/finish the sleeve and side seams.  This is especially important when using the voile as it has a tendency to unravel.  It would have been a lot quicker if I'd sewn this at my parents' and used my mom's serger but I made do with just the ol' sewing machine.

Voila!  The Hopscotch Meet Up!

Hopscotch Meet Up

DSCN3382

DSCN3386



8 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the little ruffle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! And it's a great way to use up the last bit of fabric. (If that was indeed the last bit.) Have a good weekend, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! Miss L is tall and skinny but still has toddler pokey out tummy so I dont like the Hopscotch top on her!
    This is the perfect solution Cindy!
    You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You!

    Alisa, There's still a enough left of the voile to do another little girls' top but I think I used up all the CW knit. Or did I? Hmmmm...

    Nicole, But little toddler pokey out tummies are so cute!:) It's easy enough to do and kind of fun to mix and match fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea...I have just ordered the Hopscotch pattern for my little ones, so I'll be trying this version. I have planned the meet-up top for M too. All I need is some extra time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Millie, Thanks! It's a fun little top (Hopscotch) and quick to sew up so you won't need too much extra time.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen this one before. It is SO sweet, Cindy, with the rolled hem and gathering on the outside. I'm thinking I could adapt this for Dress A Girl by doing both back and front and with a slightly thicker fabric. How do you do your rolled hem with your regular machine? I use a rolled hem foot and it creates a hem, but I'd like to know how to do one as you have. I think it'd also look great when you want to make a feature of a contrasting thread colour.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!