Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oliver & Otto Picnic Outfits (named per M's request)

Whew!  I finished the shirts on Friday with the last button sewn on during M's ballet class.  I had 2 Swingset skirts cut out but was only able to complete one to meet my self imposed deadline of Sunday afternoon.  The little girls graciously agreed to model the outfits with only a small bribe (a touch of blush on their cheeks) before running off to enjoy the nice weather.



Both shirts are from Ottobre Design, Issue 01/10, #15 "Vaahtokarkki" gingham blouse.  I made a size 104 for both girls.  The blue floral shirt is made from Lisette Lawn and the white/red polka dots is a quilting cotton.  I really like how the blue shirt drapes and how the lawn fabric lends itself to the gathers.  But I also like how the quilting cotton is crisper and the small hem was certainly easier to do on that shirt. 


"Vaahtokarkki" gingham blouse and Oliver+S Sailboat Pants

The pants were sewn last year and were a little big on both the girls.  What a difference half a year makes!

"Vaahtokarkki" gingham blouse and Oliver+S Swingset Skirt

I used a cotton plisse print leftover from a nightgown I made in 2002 for the skirt's lining and thought that it would be fine.  Unfortunately, the print shows through a bit.  I might go back and take the skirt apart and cut a solid white for the lining but realistically, it'll probably stay the way it is.



I did make a few minor changes to the pattern.  1)  I cut the frills an inch longer than the pattern piece.  2)  I lined the yoke following these instructions.


My attempt at a closer shot of the ruffle thwarted!

I'd  like to thank Sandra for doing the sew-a-long on her blog Sugar Cubes and Spice Cake.  Without having her sew-a-long as a motivator, I don't know that I would have gotten around to sewing this pattern up.   Thank You!

And now off to tag hundreds of items for a consignment sale...bye-bye sewing time!

13 comments:

  1. How funny! I have the blue lawn/denim skirt combo planned for myself. Now I am sold! I love both outfits but especially love the drape on the sleeves in the softer fabric. Though, I am a sucker for anything red...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So darn cute!! I loved this pattern when it came out and Myra is finally big enough for it. I wish I could have sewn along with y'all. After easter is done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. mc, That would be a lovely combo! I can't wait to see it. I'm tempted to go back and buy more of the lawn for myself but I really, really need to take a break from buying fabric.:)

    Katie, Thanks! There's so many Ottobre patterns that I want to sew. It's nice having the larger size range opening up for the girls but there's still so many of the "baby" patterns I adore.

    Thanks Teri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed with all your projects! Great job!

    That last picture made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two gorgeous outfits for two gorgeous girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Devan, Pictures like that are definitely truer to our life than pretty poses! Thanks, I've been having fun sewing for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. adorable outfits! I love that shirt pattern - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those turned out really cute - your girls are adorable, too. Glad my instructions helped on the yoke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Suzanne & Stacy! I love blouses on little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The outfits and the girls are so adorable. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are gorgeous!!!

    and, hmmm, that last picture seems somehow familiar. we might get a few thwarted attempts at detail shot around here as well--grumps, tongue stuck out, pig noses, and those bloody eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!