Both shirts are from Ottobre Design, Issue 01/10, #15 "Vaahtokarkki" gingham blouse. I made a size 104 for both girls. The blue floral shirt is made from Lisette Lawn and the white/red polka dots is a quilting cotton. I really like how the blue shirt drapes and how the lawn fabric lends itself to the gathers. But I also like how the quilting cotton is crisper and the small hem was certainly easier to do on that shirt.
"Vaahtokarkki" gingham blouse and Oliver+S Sailboat Pants
The pants were sewn last year and were a little big on both the girls. What a difference half a year makes!
"Vaahtokarkki" gingham blouse and Oliver+S Swingset Skirt
I used a cotton plisse print leftover from a nightgown I made in 2002 for the skirt's lining and thought that it would be fine. Unfortunately, the print shows through a bit. I might go back and take the skirt apart and cut a solid white for the lining but realistically, it'll probably stay the way it is.
I did make a few minor changes to the pattern. 1) I cut the frills an inch longer than the pattern piece. 2) I lined the yoke following these instructions.
My attempt at a closer shot of the ruffle thwarted!
I'd like to thank Sandra for doing the sew-a-long on her blog Sugar Cubes and Spice Cake. Without having her sew-a-long as a motivator, I don't know that I would have gotten around to sewing this pattern up. Thank You!
And now off to tag hundreds of items for a consignment sale...bye-bye sewing time!