Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sew-a-long Progress

I'm participating in the Ottobre Shirt Dress Sew-a-long over at Sugar Cubes and Spice Cake.  Sandra's been posting step-by-step pictures which is helpful.  Today I got a little tangled with the collar binding and being able to look and see what exactly was meant helped me overcome my mental block.  

Twice now while working on my shirts, I made it to the end of a seam before my bobbin thread ran out.  Twice!!  Usually, I'm smack in the middle of a tricky part when that happens.  I've also had a light bulb moment.  When gathering the front panels and ruffles, I realized that if I knotted the strings on the ends after I gathered the sections that it would hold the gathers in place.  Well duh! Why didn't I think of that before?

I'm sewing two shirts (one for B and the other for M).  I have a feeling they're going to fight over who gets the blue one made out of the Lisette lawn fabric...

6 comments:

  1. It looks really good. What fabric did you pick for the other one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other is white with red polka dots. They are done with the exception of buttons which will be sewn on while M has ballet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Ottobre pattern, but haven't got around to making it, maybe in Sept as part of a school uniform. Your version is gorgeous, and especially in the Lisette fabric - which I have to covet from afar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours is looking great! I can't wait to see the red polka dot one--I love polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the Lisette fabric just wonderful? Can't wait to get my hands on some. Nice work on the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela, Thanks! JA's should really ship international, it's too bad they don't. I can definitely see making more of these, perhaps with pinafores for next fall.

    Sandra, They are both done and washed, just need a little ironing. I'm working on skirts to coordinate too and hopefully will accomplish those between soccer and basketball today. Then I can post the finished product!

    Ruth, Yes, Yes, Yes! I wish I'd purchased enough of the lawn for a top for me. It's so soft and drapes nicely. I did buy some of the poplin in the exact print in green plus the green twill. There's enough of that for me and maybe something for the girls...we'll see!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!