Monday, April 25, 2011

View A of the Jump Rope Dress x2

MG's dress had been cut out for a few weeks but as of Friday, I was still attempting to smock BK's dress.  By that afternoon I had realized there was no way I'd have enough time to finish the smocking and sew the dress by Easter Sunday.  So, I cut my losses and cut another Jump Rope dress out for BK.


While looking through my stash and contemplating what to use, I came across a print that I purchased years ago.  I had dabbled in sewing a little here and there over the years.  K and P's crib bedding, a few maternity dresses, a couple of dresses & several nightgowns for K.  But it wasn't until MG came along that I dove headfirst gleefully into the sewing world.  Around that time, I bought the purple daisy print.  Why, I have no idea but I have a feeling it was probably really cheap since I must have had 3 yards.  I made K a peasant top in the summer of 2008.  K wore it for a season, then it became too tight in the shoulders. 

Fern and Faerie smock

I added some shirring to the middle in 2009 and voila! a dress for the little girls.  It was intended for MG but BK ended up with it. 

Fern and Faerie smock

And in 2011, the last part of the yardage became...

Oliver+S Jump Rope Dress, size 5

MG's dress is sewn up in Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane Wash Day Ticking.  I love the feel of this fabric.  It's more substantial than the purple and softer.

 Oliver+S Jump Rope Dress, size 5


Participating in the Jump Rope Dress sew-along last fall was a big help as I whipped out the dresses on Saturday.  I started sewing at 3 pm and the dresses were pretty much done by 10:15 pm.  Another hour or so, was spent sewing on the 14 buttons (7 turquoise & 7 orange) while watching tv.  The last bit (hemming and topstitching the sashes) took place early Easter Sunday morning. 

The dresses are a big hit with the little girls.  They love those pockets!



9 comments:

  1. I love them! Really makes me want to pick up that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dresses are very cute, but the smiles on your girls are the best! Your kids are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, those girls are so cute! I love the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!

    Suzanne, It's a nice pattern and I've really enjoyed using it. This will make 5 dresses I've sewn from it and since the little girls are in the smallest size of the bigger sized pattern I'll get lots of use from it.

    Devan, They always know when to break out the smiles...usually when you're at your wits end and ready to kill them!

    Camille, This was my first time making view A and I have to say, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are such darling dresses. I love the yellow fabric - actually both fabrics are nice and springy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dresses - and the girls! - are adorable. I'm impressed how fast you can sew such an involved pattern. I love all the little details - they really make the dresses special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dresses, and the models, are gorgeous. And making 2 in such a short time is an amazing feat, the plackets alone would take me that long:-)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    Thank you for your comment on my Anna Dress Sew Along in flickr.
    I love your blog, so many beautiful creations for your girls, I especially love these jump rope dresses. I just received this pattern recently and can't wait to attempt it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!