Saturday, May 14, 2011

KCWC: Days 4 & 5 and I'm done

To be completely honest, I started on the Class Picnic tops Wednesday (Day 3) by sewing the yoke and yoke lining pieces together.  Then I worked some on Thursday (Day 4) and finished 1 of the tops on Friday (Day 5).  Here's the finished top:


Oliver+S Class Picnic Top, Size 5

It's really a simple top to put together but my sewing time for this was in small snatches and I was really tired while working on it too.  So, as you can guess, I made a few mistakes that had me ripping out and redoing.  You know, a year ago I would have probably left the mistakes and then been mad at myself every time I saw the top.  Is it maturity or becoming a more accomplished sewist that has me taking the time to correct the boo-boos when they happen?

The biggest boo-boo was not having the flowers lined up along the front.  My photographic evidence...


Luckily I had more of the fabric which by the way is from Denyse Schmidt's Picnic line that Joann Fabric's is carrying.  Cutting a new front yoke wasn't that big of a deal.   My other gaffe was not thinking when I shortened the sleeves.  I folded the bottom of the sleeve pattern piece under 2 inches.  That was fine until I went to hem the sleeves and realized that since the sleeve isn't straight I set myself up for some serious fiddling, stretching, and actually making the sleeve hem not as deep as I wanted in order to match up the width of the sleeve and the hem.  I made it work though.


Another modification with the top was to add red piping between the front/back yokes and the front/back panels.  The second Class Picnic top that's half way done and made out of another Denyse Schmidt print will have ric-rac peeking out where the piping is on this top.


The size 5 is a tad too wide on Miss M.  I think the 4 would have fit nicer but I only have the larger pattern.  But little girls grow up fast so it's better to have a top that's a little too big than one that's too small.   

In conclusion, for the Spring 2011 Kids Clothes Week Challenge, I've sewn 5 pieces of clothing all for either M or B.  The break down is 2 nightgowns, 2 tops, and 1 dress.  Not bad for a week's work!



8 comments:

  1. That's such a great weeks work, it's practically a summer wardrobe :-) It's worth it using the ripper, to match patterns and fix mistakes, especially for clothes that look as good as these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing is too precious!

    I love your avatar pic of the little hand with the strawberry. The kids and I are growing strawberries this year as well. They treasure each ripe red berry.

    So great to "see" you. I'm busy with the 4 at home, too. It's a LOT to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Angela! As much as I hate losing sewing time with all the ripper work, it's definitely worth it in the end.

    MA, Aww, Thanks! We've been trying to grow our own but either the rabbits or the squirrels are eating our ripe berries 'cause they're disappearing. We'll have to a trip to the pick your own farm this week.

    I've been keeping up with your blog even though I don't comment much. Your boys have grown so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! The red piping really makes the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The top is adorable - I really like the fabric and the small bit of piping. I actually have never piped anything - well except for couch cushions and those are not nearly as much fun as clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this top. The pattern is awesome and so is your version. Mine could have done with a smaller size as well, but since she's right on the cusp I didn't want to buy both size ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Uta & Joy! I'm learning that a little addition of trim can really make a piece of clothing look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute - lovely fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!