Friday, May 6, 2011

More Sewing for Mom

I tried a new pattern out this week...Make It Perfect Shearwater Kaftan

070

The yellow is my very wearable muslin.  I used a bubble gauze (pita to sew) for the main fabric and the left over Nicey Jane print from M's Easter dress.  I added bias trim to the sleeves and hem because of my aversion to pressing and stitching the gauze.  It stretches out of shape and has a tendency to get eaten by my machine's feed dogs. 

Shearwater

I used mother of pearl buttons for the tabs to fasten to and turquoise thread to mimic the little bit of blue in the Nicey Jane print.


The gauze is sheer so I definitely need to wear a tank top or camisole under it.  I like how it fits...loose and breezy but not too boxy.  Perfect for layering in spring and summer!

Spring Shearwater Tunic by Cindy

8 comments:

  1. Love it! Would be great as a cover-up for the pool/beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I tend to avoid that sort of boxy shape, but this skims nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camille, That was my original plan as I was sewing it! I'll probably make another one (but lengthen it to hit mid-thigh) to use at the water park and beach this summer.

    Katie, Thanks! It does skim rather well, especially in a light weight fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this! Great subtle details and nice shape to it.

    I think this even qualifies as a 70's tunic...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely on you Cindy! Really must get this pattern....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great version of this top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look fab!
    Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joy, Now that you mentioned it, there is a 70's tunic resemblance!

    Justine, Thanks! I'm never sure what I'm going to get with new patterns but this one is a keeper.

    Angela, Thank you!

    Nicole, :) Happy Mother's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!