Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Free Patterns for me and Puppet Show for B

I wasn't sure if I liked my swimsuit coverup until I wore it a few times.  It was put into good use while on vacation when we went swimming at the hotel and in the lakes.  Of course, I never got a picture of it being worn.  Today, I made a point of having K take a few snaps before we headed to the water park.
Peachy Beachy Coverup

I used a bubble gauze fabric...the same kind that I used for my Shearwater Caftan but in a different color.  As much as I don't like sewing the stuff, I have to say it's really nice to wear on hot, summer days.  And it keeps getting softer every time it's washed.  I skimmed the directions then did my own thing.  Changes I made:  skipped the drawstring and shirred the back (3 rows) and rolled hems on the sleeves and bottom edge.  It's been so long that I've forgot what size I sewed.  I do know that I used a smaller size on top and eased into a larger size for the bottom.  

My next bit of selfish sewing was the Colette Sorbetto top, another free pattern download.  This top has been making the rounds since it was posted in May.  I'm a little late to the party but better late than never!
031

My fabric choice was a Lisette Lawn that I had bought a while back but wasn't sure what to do with it.  I used the leftover fabric from my Passport Dress (Lisette Sateen) and made bias binding to finish the neckline and armholes.  I made the size 6 but used the length of the size 16 plus an extra inch.  When I make this again, I'll probably add another inch to the length.  The armhole is a little higher than I'm accustomed to.  For version 2, I'll drop it down just a tad.  I'm pleased with the top and am looking forward to making another.  The possibilities for embellishing/changing up the style of this top are endless!  If you check out the Colette Patterns Flickr group you'll see what I mean.

And last but not least, a pair of shorts for the little girls.  Seen here on BK...
007
Oliver + S Puppet Show shorts

These were finished at least a month ago.  I used stretch denim left over from MG's skinny jeans.    My seam ripper and I became close friends while I worked on the shorts.  It was purely lack of focus on my part...I really don't do a good job when I sew after the kids go to bed.   

The clock's ticking...only 5 more weeks of summer vacation and it's back to school for the kids.:(

6 comments:

  1. I've downloaded both of these free patterns, too! I love the fabric you chose for the Sorbetto - it's a very fun top but still a basic you could make several versions of. Good to know about the armholes and length, though.

    The coverup is very stylish beach (or pool!) wear and looks really comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the swimsuit cover- up! I'll have to bookmark that one! I also don't sew well after the kids are in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Cover up. I share your opinion of the bubble gauze. It is a dream to wear and touch but terrible to sew.
    I am planning to make the Peachy Beachy Coverup this summer in a nice light weight linen or knit. Probably the knit because I love all things knit. I might steal some liberty fabric while it's on sale: http://bit.ly/zCmScm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tara! It would be really nice in a knit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never sewn with bubble gauze, but it looks great as a cover up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cindy, I've featured your cover up today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/07/threading-your-way-features_14.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!