Sunday, October 2, 2011

Equestrian Ice Cream Dress

A year (two?) ago, I purchased some Heather Ross fabric from her West Hill collection.  I liked it for it's equestrian theme.  Pre-marriage and kids, I owned a thoroughbred named Classy Jay and competed in horse shows.   So, this particular fabric really spoke to me.


But like a lot of impulse fabric purchases, I didn't have a specific plan for the fabric.  It was only 1 yard and as my children grow (faster and faster it seems!), a yard of fabric does not go very far. 

One day recently, I pulled the print out and a light bulb went on....combined with a black/white pin dot fabric, the Heather Ross fabric would make a great Oliver + S Ice Cream dress.


Ice Cream for the Equestrian

I thought it would look perfect styled with black leggings and black boots.

Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress size 5 paired with Riviera leggings from Sewing Clothes Kids Love


I happened to have a pony button to use for the back.

 
006



The Ice Cream Dress is perfect for layering in cooler weather.  All I need now is to pick a fabric for a long sleeved shirt and the dress will make it through winter.  Any suggestions on what color shirt I should sew?

12 comments:

  1. That. Is. So. Cute.

    I am a total sucker for Heather Ross prints. They work SO nicely for kids' clothes that "aren't too cutesy, just plain cute". This is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a horse pre-kids and competed at horse shows. I love anything with a subtle equestrian feel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! Great use of the limited fabric-darn those kids for growing! Mine keep doing it, too! Growing out of clothes that haven't been sewn yet is so uncool.
    I think it would look great with a shirt in the cream to khaki range. Black would work, but I think it would be a little blah. Cream would pick up the print and highlight it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it looks so cute on her! LOVE the button!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!
    I think a dark charcoal marl would look nice.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! I think a color with some pop! Not sure what color though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it! I think black, but any other colour in the dress will work too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! I love it with the leggings and boots. I'd pair it with black (if she will wear it) or maybe some pattern mixing like black and white stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness! You should design clothes for Gymboree or something - that is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Button is darlling!
    I was horse-crazy myself in my younger days and I have a 15 yr. old who is too. I'd probably have to make her a pillowcase out of that fabric but it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable! The fabric combination is perfect. I, too, have so many one yard prints...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found your blog via the Oliver & S flickr group and am so amazed by all your work. This one is a topper, though--and that is one delighted little girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!