Tuesday, November 1, 2011

LTTS Mittens

I hemmed and hawed about whether to make the apron for October's challenge in the Little Things to Sew-along hosted by A Little Gray.  I like the looks of it but couldn't really think of a use for it.  Perhaps if it was made out of a laminated cotton but I don't have any of that in my stash.  And with our heating system on the fritz (can't wait to get the bill for that repair *rolling my eyes*) and our eldest daughter's mouth of metal (braces and other orthodontia miscellany) waiting to be paid off, fabric shopping for a non-necessary sewing project isn't really justifiable at the moment.

But with colder weather than expected in October, I discovered that we had a lack of hand coverings for the kiddos.  And there happens to be a pattern for mittens in the book.  And even better, I have tons of fleece left over from other projects!


I used a microfleece purchased approximately 6 years ago.  It was originally purchased when I was sewing cloth pocket diapers for M.  It's super soft and doesn't pill much even after taking a beating as the inner of a pocket diaper.  The elastic casing is from the scraps of an Ikea sheet that I just about used up making pants a couple of summers ago for the little girls.


I decided to make a size Medium for the little girls as BK has pretty big hands. FYI, the medium fits my 10 year old perfectly but is a little roomy for M and B.   I'm going to trace off the small for them.


size medium on a 10 year old

The mittens are a quick sew and a great way to use up scraps of fabric.  I will be making several pairs as a family with four kids can never have too many mittens!


My hand model

*I'll be sewing to a slightly different schedule as the sew-along progresses.  I'm planning on sewing the Bear Carrier and Explorer Vests for Christmas presents so I'll be working on those for November and December's challenges instead of the Puppet Theater and Cozy Hood.

11 comments:

  1. Those are cute. I need to make some for my kids, it's getting cold, boo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute and fun to make I'd bet. I just went through our stash of mittens and hats and the kids don't need any new mittens. Too bad, it looks like a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love these mittens! And I'm glad you are going to sew the projects that work for you- that's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute! How did I forget there were mittens in LTTS! We are constantly losing matching gloves and mittens here. I need to whip a few sets of these up! Thanks for the sizing advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I just might have to sew up a few pairs too. I also don't really have a use for the apron, but I like what others have done. I am looking forward to sewing the puppet theatre for a Christmas present though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I have it in me to make the puppet theater next month, but these mittens look like a great project to replace it with. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right that you can't have too many pairs of mittens. This pair is really cute! What a great way to use up random fleece - unless you want to be making patchwork fleece jackets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This past weekend was the first REALLY chilly one of the weekend in Minnesota--- got me thinking about busting out all the winter gear! These mittens are definitely on my to-do list for the kiddos before it gets too cold! Yours are awesome! Love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute. Hooray for using fabric you already have, that's what I did too. It's a great mitten pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I though about making the mittens this time...even bought the fleece, so I suppose I'll have to make them sometime. Yours are super cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!