Friday, December 16, 2011

Explorer Vests x 2

I seem to do a lot of sewing times 2 for my little girls.  This time, it's for my two favorite little boys...my nephews S (6 years old) and A (3 years old).

Explorer Vest

Red is currently S's favorite color.  I lucked out in finding this great print at Jo-ann's.  I love the sailboat drawings!

010


Especially the blueprint-esque one.

Lining of Explorer Vest


Matching reds can be difficult.  The only red buttons I had were a very primary shade.  They just didn't look right against the deeper tones of the sailboat print and the binding.

 I decided to go with these metal buttons that are from the grouping my mother-in-law gave me over the summer. 

005


The bellows pocket were a little time consuming but well worth the effort.  Think of all the treasures it can hold!

015
My B modeling her cousin's vest.  Notice how short the sleeves of her shirt have become?  Good thing I lengthened them last year, now they are 3/4 sleeves like the original pattern.


On to #2....


Explorer Vest #2

Mr. A loves the color purple.  Finding a purple print that is boyish is not an easy task.  I really wanted A's vest to have a fun lining like his big brother's but the only purple prints I could find at first screamed "girl".  If I'd had more time, I'm sure there are some lovely, more masculine purple prints out in the fabric world.  But on my quick trip to Jo-ann's I despaired of finding a fabric that would work.

Thinking outside of the box, I found a black print that had different colored bicycles on it.  And there is a purple bike!


020

I used a purple batik fat quarter to make bias binding for this vest.  The purple buttons are also from my mother-in-law.

Both Explorer Vests are made from tan twill from Jo-ann's.  And both are a size medium.



Explorer Vest #2

M is modeling A's vest and just happened to be wearing a purple shirt!

The vest pockets are the perfect hiding place for the small toys that I've purchased for the boys. I wish I could be there to see their reaction when they put on the Explorer Vests and discover that there's toys in the pockets!


Another winning pattern from Little Things to Sew.

8 comments:

  1. these are perfect cindy,so much thought gone into getting them just right!
    sewn with lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love the explorer vests. What a great idea! Boys are hard to sew for but this is awesome. Thank you for sharing.
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. The vests came out great! The pockets are fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look terrific! Great fabric choices. And I love the idea of surprises in the pockets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Nicole! I hope the boys enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute and stylish!  Would you like to post  your project on my Sew & Tell Saturday linky party at my blog this Saturday? Its geared specifically for sewing projects !
    Justine @ Sew Country Chick

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are great, Cindy - I love that you have matched them to the boys. Hope they love them :-)

    (as an aside, I have some of the fabric that B's top is made out of! I used it in a patchwork skirt for Rosie)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Justine! btw, I love that fabric...I wish I'd purchased more of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!