New tops for the little girls was last week's sewing project.
The shirt that B is wearing is Ottobre Design 01/11 #19, Ice Cream button band. I used a thin jersey purchased years ago at Hobby Lobby.
Can I share how much I despise lining stripes up? Seriously, I wasted hours trying to line them up when I was cutting the pattern out and sewing it together. And still ended up with the stripes being a tad bit off when it came time to do the hem!
I skipped doing the button bands on the sleeve edges. And used lots of spray starch whilst sewing the button band on the front of the shirt. Spray starch is your friend when working with cheap, thin jersey!
The top M is wearing is the Oliver + S Hopscotch. I love that pattern! The size 5 I made up earlier in the year has become too short so I added 2 inches to the sleeves and hem of this one.
The Hopscotch is made from a luscious bamboo french terry. The fabric is so soft!
Miss M also needed some new pants. I love the look of the Clever Charlotte Raven pants but don't have the pattern. So, I turned to Ottobre Design to find a basic pair of pants to alter.
Ottobre Design 01/10 #13, "Puolukkapuuro" pants
Last fall I made B a pair of these pants and knew I liked the overall fit/shape. The original pattern has an elastic waistband but I wanted a flat front. I read through Dana's flat front tutorial to get it clear in my mind what alteration I would need to do. For these pants, I took out a little width from the front by cutting a wedge of fabric out of the top outseam. I started about an inch in at the waist and tapered back out to the pattern piece's outseam opposite of the end of the crotch seam. Does that make sense? Here's a picture...
The dotted pencil line shows where I cut the wedge of fabric from.
Excuse the overexposed photo, it was the only way to get those pintucks to pop this morning!
To add the pintucks, I folded the front pattern piece in half, pressed with the iron, and then stitched along the fold.
The little details don't stop at the front! There are heart pockets on the back.
I traced the hearts from OD 01/09 #19, a skirt that has heart pockets on it. My original plan, before deciding to do the pintucks, was to use the hearts as knee patches like the pants seen here.
But those pintucks didn't want to be covered up so back pockets they became.
The pants were made from a brown, uncut cord that I purchased at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I used a size 104 for width and a 110 for length. M's legs are super long even though she isn't very tall so I went ahead and added 1 1/2 inches to the length. And I'm glad I did!