Sunday, January 8, 2012

Knit Top for Me

One of my goals for 2012 is to sew for myself more.  Ideally, I'd like to sew at least one item a month.  My first project (check off January!) is a knit top.

My new knit top

I used the basic tee pattern from Sew U: Home Stretch by Wendy Mullin.  I was trying to make it similar to a favorite knit Roxy top I have but I think I was a little off on my proportions.  The yellow knit band could be a little higher and the bottom panel needs to be more of an A line and longer.


Knit Top
Note:  I haven't hemmed the sleeves yet.:)

I made a medium but ended up taking in the sides quite a bit in the bodice.  Next time I use this pattern, I'll trace the small and see how that fits. 

The print is a good quality interlock that I got at Hancock Fabric's in their "value" aisle.  I think I paid a $1.99 a yard so it was definitely a bargain.  I'd intended to make K another tunic like this one from 2008:

Kaiku Tunic

But she hadn't seemed too enthralled with the busy print.  The fabric has been draped over a chair in my sewing room for at least a month and as I was cleaning up recently, I realized that it would look nice as a shirt under a turquoise cardigan I had.  Sorry K, no more tunic for you.

And the icing on the cake...I have matching flats too!

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful top , I really love the print

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! It might now be exactly the same as the original, but it sure is cute. (Plus, I'm a sucker for blue shoes.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aminat, Thanks! I loved the print but was worried that it would be too bright/busy for me. Pairing it with the cardi grounded it enough that I feel comfortable wearing it.

    Nicole, Did I mention that they are actually blue SUEDE shoes?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done a fab job with your top, Cindy - it looks great on you (& the shoes are pretty fab, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the top. I love the whole outfit together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this top! It's such a flattering style and it looks fab on you.
    Love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Lotta! I need to get around to hemming the sleeves so I can wear it with out a sweater.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!