Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mini Boden Inspired Pants

I love the style of mini Boden's Heart Patch Trousers and have long wanted to replicate it. So, when MG needed a pair of brown pants (the other pair has become BK's) I decided to give it a try.




I started with the Oliver + S Sandbox pants pattern and did a little tweaking to get the look.  The biggest change...the inset pockets.  These are a little differently shaped than the other inset pockets I've done so I went ahead and drew up a pattern for size 4 pockets.  You can get it HERE.  Hopefully, the link works.  Disclaimer:  I am by no means an expert in computers.  In fact, what I know about computers and software is just enough to get me in trouble.:)

When you print the pocket pattern off, make sure you have the printer setting at "actual size" and that "landscape" is marked.  Double check with print preview to make sure the whole thing is going to be printed.  The gray square should measure 1" by 1"...though my cutting skills are in question so it's not a perfect square.  It should look like this:

*warning* This is only a picture of the pattern piece.  You'll have to access the above link to print off the correctly sized pocket.

The concept of this inset pocket is the same as the original tutorial I shared.  You'll need to alter the pants' front pattern piece with the printed off pocket pattern minus the starred area.  The pocket facing is the entire pattern piece.  The pocket lining pattern piece is minus the starred section.   There are step by step photos in the original tutorial that show exactly what you need to do.



Part 2 of the original tutorial shows how I sewed the pockets.  On this pair, I chose to roll the pocket lining out.  I skipped the understitching step and eyeballed how much of the lining I wanted to show. 

The other details are the heart knee patches, topstitching, and the knit waistband.  The hearts are made from 2 layers to make sure they are sturdy.  There's nothing fancy about the hearts...I drew a heart in the approximate size I wanted and cut 2 out for each knee.  Sewed them right sides together leaving a space for turning, turned them right side out, pressed, pressed, pressed, and stitched them to the pants before I stitched the inseams.  To mark where the hearts needed to go, I held up the pants to MG while they were under construction (ie the pockets were in and the outseams had been stitched).



The waistband is a rib knit with elastic inside.  I cut a 3" wide band approximately 22 inches long and sewed the short ends together to make a circle.  I folded it in half and pinned it to the top of the pants, lining the seam up with the center back seam of the pants.  I then attached it with a 1/2" seam.  I finished the waistband seam with a serger before pressing it towards the pants and top stitching.  The rib knit wasn't quite enough to hold the pants up on MG so I went back and unpicked the center back seam of the waistband so I could insert 1" wide elastic.  I hand stitched that seam closed. 


007
MG was at birthday party sleepover last night and I don't think she got much sleep!

If you're interested in making a similar style of pants, I hope this helps.  I know it's not as clear as my other tutorials.  While sewing these pants, I made it up as I went along so trying to go back and write about exactly what I did wasn't easy.  Let me know if you have any ?'s and I'll do my best to help!


linking up to: 

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. these are perfect! my daughter will only wear clothes that have hearts on them. thanks for the pattern and tutorial. i will give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. I love the Boden catalog for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! Boden clothing appeals to both me and the kids.:)

      Delete
  3. I love Boden but they are expensive. It is wonderful that you did this yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I am always looking at the Boden catalog for inspiration too. Their kids stuff is so cute! Your pants look so great. I love the ribbed waistbnd detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet! Without the hearts, I'd love these for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! Definitely a good way to wear brown pants.
    I earmark nearly every page in the Boden catalogs for inspiration, too. But do I ever get around to making them?...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!