Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Utilitarian Sewing

I like to sew fancy or stylish outfits as much as anyone.  But there are times when useful pieces are needed to fill a void.  That's what this week has been about.


Ottobre Design 04/11 #33 "Longicorn sweatpants"

K is preparing for the upcoming track season and needed some more sweatpants to do her conditioning in.  I didn't have enough suitable fabric so I cut up a pair of her dad's old sweatpants (don't tell on me!).  I used a size 146 and had to add 3 1/2 inches to the leg length. 



The waistband is left over rib knit from my Billy Cardi and the pocket bags were cut from an old t-shirt of mine.  The ribbing is really a dark purple and not the almost burgundy that it comes across as in the photo.  I skipped doing the button holes and drawstring but might go back and tack a little bow on the front. 

I'm going to be searching the big box stores for men's sweatpants to cut apart for another pair and to replace my husband's.:)


Ottobre Design 06/11 #37 "Boxer shorts"

Another pair of pajama pants for P, just like the pair I made at Christmas.  These had been cut out for way too long and my son has been complaining that he didn't have enough long pants for bed.  Done and Done.


I really like the button fly on these.  It adds a little detail to an otherwise boring pair of elastic waist pants. 

I know some people prefer to spend their sewing time on fun projects and skip the utilitarian stuff.  I don't mind sewing the practical (like sweatpants and pjs)but I do find it hard to get motivated enough to sit down and do it.  This week, I would have rather worked on the blouse I'm smocking or the embellished pair of jeans I'm constructing for B.  Both are projects that I don't normally do so they are a bit of a challenge.  And then, I'm always planning the next project.  What about you?  Do you skip sewing the basics?

11 comments:

  1. Geeze, I'm finding it hard to get motivated to just simply walk into the sewing room!
    You keep churning out outfit after outfit and they all look like special and fun projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, that's not true! You did 2 pretty awesome outfits recently. I really am impressed with Music Box Jumper...I love plaid but very rarely sew with it as I get a headache just thinking about matching it.:)

      Delete
  2. My problem is that it is easier and cheaper for me to purchase the utilitarian items. I know that's not what sewing is about and I am well aware that these goods are made overseas. But if I'm being honest, I just find it hard to justify spending my precious sewing time on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see where you're coming from, Camille. There is plenty that I *could* sew but don't as like you said, it's easier/cheaper to purchase it. With K, it can be hard to find RTW pants that fit well so sewing things like sweatpants and jeans becomes almost a must. I keep saying I'm going to sew jeans for P but I can find RTW ones that fit him for less than what the material would cost! Plus, sewing jeans really doesn't get me excited.:)

      Delete
  3. Well done Cindy,you have given me the (literal)kick up the back side to finish some jobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya, Nicole. I can't let the boy stuff that's cut out lanquish as there's no one younger to wear it if it doesn't fit.

      Delete
  4. I rarely sew utilitarian items as I just don't have or make the time. I do sew a lot of gifts, quilts etc too so that takes up alot of my time. I have to make myself do mending and fitting though because it's not as fun as sewing a cute dress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh, mending and fitting. They are not fun at all. I've been wanting to sew a top for myself from a new pattern but I really need to do a muslin so I've been dragging my feet.

      Delete
  5. I really do enjoy sewing the utilitarian items - they're the ones I see the kids (or myself) wear the most. Since they usually take less time to sew than fancy stuff and they're worn more often, I feel like I've gotten a lot out of my efforts. I guess that's a "different sort of thrill" compared to a fabulously done garment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, most of my sewing is utilitarian or everyday stuff. I should have thought through what I sew a little more before posting.:) Like you said, that's what gets worn. The little girls clothes are about 3/4 sewn by me and there are lots of days that they are head to toe (well, except for the socks and shoes and undies) in clothes I've made. Warms my heart to see it.

      Delete
  6. Basics may not have the same wow factor but I still do them too - I love the kids wearing things I've made all the time, not just for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!