Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Gift Sewing

Normally, I'm not one to sew gifts for people outside of my immediate family.  Mainly because I feel like my sewing has to be perfect and I get really stressed out.  I made an exception for my best friend's birthday.  After all, when you've known someone for 25 years they are part of your family.:)

Everything Tote

Everything Tote from Weekend Sewing

I used a home decor print from Joann's for the outside and a flamingo print for the lining. I made the same modifications I did for my tote last summer.  I also incorporated a few more.  The inside patch pocket is a bit deeper and I also used a heavy interfacing for where the handles open up and sit on the shoulder.

010


The most important mod in my opinion is a zippered pocket.  Perfect for stashing keys and other small important objects that could fall out of the patch pocket or get lost in the main section of the bag.  I hope my dear friend likes the bag!



Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. How fun and bright! The zippered pocket is a great addition. I have that book but I don't think I've made anything from it. Maybe I will pull it out sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a few things from the book. There's quite a few mistakes in the first printing which is annoying so make sure you check the errata page online if you decide to sew something from it. The bag is perfect for hauling beach towels and the like...I used mine all last summer.:)

      Delete
  2. That's really lovely, lucky friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Nice job.

    So here's the funny thing - I came over to say hi and thanks for the comment on my blog (about my little guy's shirts) and promptly became so enchanted with your blog that I couldn't comment until I'd read, oh, all of it. I'm totally smitten - you've done some great stuff and are totally inspiring me in some new directions (which I definitely needed this week). I even bought some gauze to make the beach cover up, and I am totally going to dive into my one Ottobre magazine I hadn't managed to get around to trying anything from. Thank you so much for the inspiration! (And the comment ;).

    xo

    Christy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, Your comment has made my day! I was feeling a bit down...I have a sick kid at home and had to cancel her birthday party that was to be held tonight but reading your comment has put a smile back on my face.:) Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Oh no!! Sick kid on birthday?? That's just not fair - poor thing. I hope she feels better really soon. Thank YOU for making my week so much better! Can't wait to see what you do next!

      Delete
  4. She'll love it! The colors are so happy, and it's perfectly made. I sew very little for others, but my best friend's the exception, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She'll love it! I sure do. It looks so summery!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!