Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Turtle Top

In the midst of pulling summer clothes and sorting, I came to the awful realization that the little girls have hardly any t-shirts with short sleeves. Time to make some more pinterest inspirations a reality!

Turtle Top
Ottobre Design 03/06 #17, size 104 with a few modifications

DSCN6976
Turtle Design from OD 03/08

While trying on shorts and capris to see what still fit, I came across a pair of hand-me-down capri pants with turtles on the hem.  So, of course I had to make a turtle shirt to wear with them.

DSCN6979
The biggest modification was to bind the entire sleeve edge instead of having ties to close the keyhole.  The other time I made this pattern, the ties never stayed nice.   I hand stitched the keyhole closed before applying the binding.  To add a little interest a la Gymboree, I added a button below the keyhole.

DSCN6983


DSCN6996


I added length to the top and ended up taking in the side seams as the shirt was too wide for my taste.  One thing about the older Ottobre Design patterns--they seem to run short and wide.  It's not a big deal...I usually compare the traced off pattern to another that fits well and make my adjustments from there.

DSCN6994

No stink eye today.  Or if there is, it's well hidden by the sunglasses.:)  And what's up with the socks and shoes...I tried to convince BK that sandals would look nice but she was resistant.  I pick my battles and this was one not worth fighting!

9 comments:

  1. It's a great shirt! I love the applique and the button detail. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this sleeve! The little keyhole is so cute. I've noticed that too about the older (like pre-2008ish) Ottobres. It seems like the more current ones are a much slimmer, longer cut. I wonder if that is a drafting change or a style change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos you are taking!
    x N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! As the days are getting longer, I have a little bit better light to get pictures. Helps a ton!

      Delete
  4. This really is cute! Perfect sewing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Justine! MG was protesting that she didn't get a turtle shirt...I'll have to remedy that when we're back home.:)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the keyholes on the arms...and the buttons are so darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo cute! I love turtles and this one is adorable. I have to remember this pattern since I need to make some t-shirts too. And yes, I think Otto tends to run a little short and wide. Unless it seems that way because the kids are skinny?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how the button matches the turtle, Cindy!!! I agree with you that binding the armhole was better than ties. The keyholes are perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!