Sunday, April 22, 2012

It's Birthday Time...Again

Last week had us celebrating our only son's 11th birthday.
 
 
It's Birthday Time! (again)

I love this boy!  He handles being the lone boy with grace all most of the time. 

I completely copied Joy from 21wale in making P a roman numeral birthday shirt.  He picked what color fabric (white interlock) and the colors for the roman numerals (2 shades of blue).  I used the Imke pattern from Sewing Clothes Kids Love.


P chose to have a birthday/sleepover party with 4 of his good friends from school.  I've mentioned before that throwing parties is not really a passion of mine.  But every couple of years, I'm willing to do put aside my distaste and make my children happy. 

Friday, I had quite a few things to accomplish.  Chiefly, cleaning the house and making P's birthday cake.  Well....real life got in the way.  Our elderly dog had an accident, a very large and wet accident, on the couch in the living room kids' hang out room.  Pee was on the down blanket, the couch cushion, wicking up the back of the couch, soaking through the base of the couch, and in a puddle on the carpet under the couch.  Needless to say, I did not plan on having to deal with a mess of that proportion.

I did attempt a clean up with Nature's Miracle but it quickly became apparent that the couch was toast.  A kindly neighbor helped me lug the couch outside and I was able to clean the carpet.  Thrown off balance by the unexpected, I was in quite a tizzy all afternoon as time raced by. 


the infamous couch of pee


I had pinned a 'Building Block' cake a little while ago with plans to make that for P's party.  The end result was not quite as pretty...


Keeping It Real

Let's just say that I don't have a future in the cake decorating business.;)

But the nice thing about 11 year old boys, they could care less if the house smells like dog or if the Lego cake is rather misshapen.  They are just happy to be together having fun.


P's Lego Cake on Fire ;)

11 comments:

  1. I can so relate to how you feel about birthday parties. I did them for the kids, but breathed a sigh of relief when it was all over and they'd had a good time... and I was exhausted. The t-shirt looks great and I'm guessing you made the great fitting jeans, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sorry the couch was a loss. Looks like they had fun though, and the cake looks yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys had a great time! It's fun watching how they interact...in some ways different than a group of girls (active, running around role/game playing) and in others just the same (who knew that boys gossip?)!

      C

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday Patrick!
    Glad it went well despite the mayhem :-)
    And I love the tshirt - may copy this....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to do a birthday shirt for older boys who might not think that kind of shirt is cool.:)

      C

      Delete
  4. The t-shirt looks impeccable, wow! I share your feelings about birthday parties (and anything loud and "fun", really...) but haven't seen a way out so far... So terrible about the couch, do you really have to throw it away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...and to think the next few weeks I have 2 more parties to pull off! I feel like hiding in my bed under the covers.;)

      The urine was all over the couch plus the entire thing needed to be reupholstered from all the wear and tear from the kids. Also, we're getting ready to redo the downstair floors in a few weeks so it'll one less piece of furniture we have to move.

      Delete
  5. Nothing like a little drama!!! Glad you had a nice birthday for him - that's so great. Love the shirt and the roman numeral idea - I'm trying to dream up a good shirt idea for Sam's second birthday in June.

    I laughed so hard about the couch - I mean dude, I am SO SORRY that happened but that is totally something that would happen to me. And I do not even have a dog.

    Happy Monday!

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, Laugh away! I wasn't even mad about the pee...I was more upset that it happened on a day when I had so much to deal with.:) Can't wait to see what kind of shirt you come up with for Sam's birthday!

      Cindy

      Delete
  6. Oh boy, I'm feeling your tizziness! (Is that even a word?) I so know how that feels. I'm not the best at throwing parties either, but I do it for the kids. Your cake looks great! Your t-shirt looks great too! My 11 yr old didn't want a number shirt for his birthday this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Roman Numerals are fun, aren't they? I think it was my P's idea a while ago (he's 11 too!).

    I have to laugh about the cake, even though I think yours looks pretty cool. I tried making petit fours once-it was a big mush of frosting and cake. I guess I can do "healthy" and "tastes fine" but "aesthetically pleasing" won't be on my list. My husband decorates the cakes around here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!