Wednesday, April 25, 2012

KCWC: Days 1-3


I, like a lot of you, am participating in Kids Clothes Week Challenge.  But, unlike most of you, it took me until today to have anything to sew-n-tell.

I've been looking into shorts pattern for P for a while.  2 of the shorts patterns I have been eyeing are not large enough. The first is the Make It Perfect Long Board shorts. I adore the ones on the cover of the pattern and even got P's approval to make a pair just like those. But the largest size is still several inches too small for P. Boo Hoo:(

The other is a similar style from Ottobre Design.  But they only go up to a 128 and P is firmly in a 140.  I debated myself for weeks as to whether I should take a chance that the sizing of the MIP pattern is generous or if I should just go ahead and grade up the OD pair. 

In the interest of saving a little moolah and working with what I got, I chose to grade up.


Ottobre Design 03/10 #19 "Wailers"


I used a brown twill from Joann Fabrics, a scrap of white poplin, and some white ribbing from my fabric stash.  I added 3/4" to all the edges of the pattern to size it up.  The rise needs to be a little deeper but otherwise, I think I got a pretty decent fit. 





I used white thread for all my topstitching to add a little pop to the plain brown.  I like how it ties in to the white at the pockets and waist.




The shorts pass the ripstick riding test*!


*Yes, I realize I let my kid ride a skateboard with no helment and flip flops. 
But no P's were harmed in the shooting of these pictures.:)

30 comments:

  1. They look really professional, Cindy! They look better on than on the first photo (which is much better than looking better off!)

    As to the comment about riding without helmet and flipflops - I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't mention it.

    About a month ago, Ben was playing street hockey and got flicked in the face just above his nose. It required 7 stitches. In the ER the nurse asked why he wasn't wearing a helmet, making me feel like a pretty bad mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shorts look great, Cindy - I really like the pockets

    As to helmets and thongs......hmmmmm, my kids are usually barefoot, so you're one better than me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cool. Really cool.

    Am I a bad mom that I didn't even notice the lack of helmet and footwear until you said something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job grading up to the size you needed. The shorts look like they fit perfectly. And the detail white top stitching completes the whole look. Once again, another masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! Patrick has been overdue for some new 'sewn by mom' clothes.

      Delete
  5. They're great Cindy! I am hoping to make something similar for T. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! Funny - I didn't even notice the flip flops or lack of helmet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are great! I love the white details and cargo pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome work! Love them so much. Do not worry about having nothing to show - so far *I* have managed to break three needles, alter some legwarmers for my daughter, do three or four sketches of things I am HOPING to make, and um...OH, I did draft a pattern for a dress and do a muslin today, so I may actually be ready to start making something tomorrow. I'm awesome. (In fairness we run a course here on Monday nights, and last night I had about 18 people here for dinner - so I am HOPING the rest of the week is a liiitttle bit smoother!).

    I really like the shorts though - I have a similar idea in mind for Sam, only slightly more one year old ish :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Christy! I had grand plans too but life has a way of pre-empting any sewing.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  9. Great job, Cindy. I love seeing boys willing to wear their mamas' sewing. Yay for P!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Patrick is more than willing (so far!) to wear clothes I sew. I hope that continues.:)

      CM

      Delete
  10. Wow. Very cool and very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My boys ride their ripsticks with no helmets and jandals too. They seem much safer than skateboards, my boys love theirs. Perfect shorts for important boy business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once he mastered riding the ripstick, it does seem quite a bit safer than skateboards. I suppose it's 'cause they don't need to take their feet off the board to keep it in motion. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous sewing, as usual, Cindy!
    Great that your boy is taking advantage of this challenge. The white topstitching looks really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana Sofia! I really should sew more for Patrick...

      Delete
  13. These look very professional! Kudos to you for sewing (big) boys' clothes - no pink, no ruffles, not even a little car appliqué - I still struggle with that. (And my boy would definitely wear these, he's just growing out of cutesy stuff, sniff.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like there's such a small window to sew for boys...especially the cutesy stuff. I'm glad that P is still appreciative and actually wants me to sew for him, even if it's fairly utilitarian. Thanks, Uta!

      Delete
  14. These look great - it must be nice to be able to switch from frills to something boyish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Karen! Yes, it is nice to sew boyish clothes for a change.:)

      CM

      Delete
  15. These look great! I love that you can sew for your boy and it's stylish and he like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are really awesome! I actually have the Make It Perfect pattern (and not the Ottobre.. yet) and really want to try it. I just found your blog and it is making me want to sew again. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look very professionally sewn with the white topstitching!!! Love the brown and white. Great job on upsizing the pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you! He's worn them several times since.:)

      Delete
  19. These are very sharp looking shorts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!