Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sleepover Sewing & Crafts

Since poor MG was sick last week, we had to postpone her 7th birthday celebration to this Friday.  I was sympathetic to her disappointment but happy that I had another week to complete my preparations.




One of the crafts the girls will have the option of doing is to personalize their pillowcases using fabric markers.  I looked at various tutorials online for making pillowcases and morphed them together.  Essentially, I used the full width of the rainbow fabric, folded it in half, serged the bottom and the one side seam, and then added a white "cuff" for the girls to draw on with the markers.  I wrote down the measurements somewhere so I could post them but they have disappeared on me.  (That's what happens when I clean up!)  I will probably be doing more pillowcases for K's birthday sleepover in May so if there's any interest, I can post the details then.

The sleeping mask was made using the Prudent Baby Minkee Eye Mask pattern shrunk down 75%.  I used the same fabric from the pillowcases so they would coordinate and a really soft pink fleece left over from a blanket I made BK a couple of years ago.

The girls will also be getting bath crayons as part of their goodie bags.



They are really simple to make.  I used this tutorial.  The bath crayons don't really mark a lot, especially the lighter colors.  Which when you have 30 year old harvest gold tile in the bathtub that's hard to clean, it's a blessing!  M and B had fun with the test batch and if nothing else, the soap got them clean.  I didn't add any scent to these.


And of course, we are continuing the rainbow theme so each girl will get a red, orange, yellow, green, and blue bath crayon in their bag.:)

Linking up to:  

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. What a fun birthday party idea! I may have to do it just for fun this summer with my kids... they would get a kick out of decorating their own pillow case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let you know how it goes! My mom was the one who thought up the idea of having the girls decorate their pillowcases. I was planning on personalizing each one but her idea is much better!

      Delete
  2. Oh Cindy!!! I feel for your daughter! I almost had to cancel my daughters' Rainbow party two weeks ago because I was so sick...

    BTW, I have a linky party at The DIY Dreamer! You can link up any of your projects :)
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/04/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun and I know all the girls will love their goodies. Happy to hear that MG is feeling better and she can celebrate with her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm sure the guests would love everything. :)

    I'm visiting from Make it, Wear it, by the way.
    Visit my entry if you have the time. Thanks.
    http://eccentricallysuper.blogspot.com/2012/03/graduation-baby.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it all goes well - the craft looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cutest idea ever - I love this. I would also probably hate this because I'd be like "OH CUTEST IDEA EVER!!" and then I'd get two done and be like "Whhhyyyyyy did I decide to do thissss??" But that is me :). Feel free to remind me of this comment when I decide to sew superhero capes as party favours for my son's 2nd birthday in June :).

    I hope you guys are having a wonderful night and the girls are really enjoying themselves! I also hope that you get to take a break. :).

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me...there were times I was asking myself the same question as I was sewing the pillowcases and eye masks! The girls were excited though with the craft and goodies. My oldest has requested the same thing for her party in May so they were truly a hit.

      Happy Easter!

      CM

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!