Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cinco de Mayo Show & Tell


But the only claim I have to this top is a general idea and the tracing/cutting of the pattern pieces.



Modkid Frida in a 4/5

BK (my baby) was born on Cinco de Mayo (May 5) 5 years ago.  Since this year seems to be the year of the birthday party in our family, I decided to go all out with a huge (for us) Cinco de Mayo party to celebrate.  We did something similar for her 1st birthday.

We had approximately 30 people (neighbors, close friends, and family) over for a gigantic mexican meal with tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, margaritas, Coronas, salsa, 7 layer dip, mini chicken taco cups, rice, and tortilla chips.  (No pictures as I hardly had time to take any)  You know how I'm always going on about how I do not enjoy party planning and such?  Well, guess what?  I didn't stress at all over this one and I was able to enjoy the party.  But I'm in no hurry to do it again!

One of the things that lightened the stress load was I turned over my idea of an embroidered mexican house dress to my mom.  And boy, did she deliver!




I was a bad daughter and didn't even get the pattern pieces to her until a week before the party.  The original plan was for her to do the embroidery and then I'd sew the tunic.  My time management skills seriously suck and I came to the realization mid-week that I wasn't going to be able to do it.  Mom to the rescue!  And if I do say so myself, she did a FABULOUS job.




The Frida Tunic is made from a white linen blend.  I was going to pair it with the ruffle shorts that I made from the same fabric but decided to go with the slightly stained (not that you can see) white denim Sailboat Pants from last year. 

The outfit held up to 3 hours of playing, eating, pinata busting, and opening gifts!


Happy 5th Birthday, BK!

19 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Makes me want to embroider a top for Margot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful!!! And hand embroidered! In this day and age of machine embroidery - so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Machine embroidery is great but sometimes hand embroidery is the way to go! I think I need to have my mom show me how she did it so I can try my hand at it.:)

      CM

      Delete
  3. I thought you were going to say you repurposed a beautiful embroidered table cloth - not that your mum did it! She did a fantastic job - the top looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom did this in a week? Amazing, and utterly beautiful. Looks like a fun party, you're turning into quite the party planner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can accomplish in a week what would likely take me an entire year to do! I'm thankful that she's willing to make my visions come to life.:) Party planner...Oh No!lol We have one more to get through and then I'm off the hook for a couple of years. (we don't do parties every year)

      CM

      Delete
  5. Your Mum's embroidery is AWESOME, Cindy!!! It's beautiful!!! The detail in the yellow flower with the green centre is amazing. Your Mum is very clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The top is beautiful! Gorgeous! And congratulations on pulling off another party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your baby :-) The top is so beautiful, and your mother is incredibly talented, every single stitch is so neat. I think I'd be afraid for it to be worn - I'd have to frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday BK!

    The top is just perfect - the embroidery is beautiful - perfectly designed and stitched - compliments to your mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll pass the compliments on.:)

      Delete
  9. The birthday girl looks so beautiful!! Your mom did an amazing job on the top! Happy birthday.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The top is amazing! Your mom did a wonderful job! The party sounds like a lot of fun. My daughters birthday is coming up on the 15th, no plans yet, planning isn't my one of my strengths either ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This top is amazing! The fit of the top and that embroidery is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana! My mom did a great job...the top turned out even better than I imagined.:)

      CM

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness, this top is to die for! What a lucky little girl (and mom:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm definitely spoiled to have a fantastic mom who's willing to make my last minute ideas a reality!

      Delete
  13. This is soooo beautiful!
    Another happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!