Thursday, May 3, 2012

Color Challenge: True Blue

Blue!  (and White)

 


Blue has always been my favorite color.  In elementary school where red or pink was what all the girls liked, I was a fan of blue.  30 years later, I'm still true blue.


My inspiration for the top was a tunic from the Santorini Sweetie Gymboree line.  I had pinned the top below and a few others from the same line because I loved the way the blue and white looked together.  
The shorts inspiration is a chino pair with ruffles from J Crew's children line.  




My base pattern for the top is the 2+2 from Oliver + S.  I modified* the top by eliminating the gathers in the front, adding a shaped facing with a slit, and having the bias binding on the sleeves be visible.  The blue floral print was from my stash...I believe it's a poly cotton blend, perhaps part of the Tutti Frutti line that both Jo-ann's and Hancocks carries.  The facing is a white cotton/lycra poplin.





Class Picnic Shorts with Ruffles

The white shorts are the Class Picnic pattern from Oliver + S but with ruffles instead of the facings.  I used a white linen for the shorts.  The ruffles are 1 1/4" wide strips cut on the bias and are approximately 60" long.  (I pieced 2 strips together to get the length)  In a nut shell, I finished one edge of the strips with a rolled hem, gathered them, and sewed the bias strips on to the shorts.   I plan on posting a mini tutorial with pictures next week if you're interested.:)

Back View of True Blue Outfit






*and yes, I plan on posting a how to on the 2+2 modifications.  I'm working on a 2nd one for MG and  taking pictures of the process.  Real Life is taking priority this week with track meets (last one was tonight!), chorus concerts, and a Cinco de Mayo birthday blast for that sweet girl pictured above.:)





Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous little top... love the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can wait until next week for both tutorials. :) I love this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, so cute Cindy! I love it, and I am also totally a sucker for blues. Really like the shorts too - you did a great job, and good for you for sewing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christy! I was clueless on what to make for the last few weeks of PR&P but it's all come together and I've managed to cross off a bunch of projects that have been floating around in my mind.

      Delete
  4. Very cute, both the top and the shorts. Nice work! And have fun with that 'real life' too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I want those ruffled shorts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a darling outfit and I especially love the way you did those shorts! I'd love a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love it!! I cn't wait to see how you made the top, I so have to rty this outfit out for little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful outfit, and very girly. I love the modifications you made, especially with the shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really, really love the top, Cindy - and those shorts are super cute! Looking forward to your tute

    Happy Birthday Miss B!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love both of the outfits and can't wait for the tutorial so I can have some of my own! I wanted to sew along with PR&P but have not been able to get my act together this season. Might happen next season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those shorts are perfect! I love them! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous outfit - I can't wait to see the tutorial on how to do those sweet ruffles - my girls would go mad for those and be much more inclined to wear shorts if they were 'girly'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a darling top! I also love the ruffles on the shorts! Too cute, I'll be looking forward to the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE both of the pieces! I can't wait for your tutorials :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The ruffles in the short is soo cute. Love the top too...
    http://thendralscraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful and stylish outfit! I hope your cutie had a fabulous birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!