Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ruffle Shorts Tutorial

Inspiration Shorts from JCrew


Class Picnic Shorts with Ruffles
Oliver + S Class Picnic Shorts with Ruffles


Note:   I'm making a pair of size 5 shorts so for the smaller or larger size shorts you'll need to adjust your strip length accordingly. For the white medium/heavy weight linen pair, I cut the strips on the bias and they were 60" long. For the gray quilting cotton shorts, I cut 4 strips selvage to selvage and pieced them together so they were about 84" long. 


Step 1:  Stitch front and back pieces together at the inseam.  Press open and finish seam allowance.



2.  Cut 1 1/4" strips for the ruffles.   Finish one long edge with a rolled hem.  Gather the other edge (on the gray, I used a ruffler foot set at 8).  Pin gathered strip to shorts, right sides together along the outer edge.  I matched the seam from my strips to the inseam of the shorts.



As you can see, on the front there was some left over.  On the back, end the ruffles 4 inches down from the top.



3.  Stitch with a 1/2" seam and finish seam allowance.  I hadn't done it yet on the picture below but you'll want to finish the edge above the ruffle on the back also. 




4.  Press top of ruffle to the wrong side and topstitch close to the edge.  If you have left over ruffle on the front, it's time to trim the excess off.



 

*Before you proceed you need to stitch the crotch seam per the pattern instructions and also topstich the faux fly*


5. Measure 2" from the notch at the top of the back shorts and mark it with a pin.




6.  Fold the back edge to the wrong side to where the pin is and press.  It will be 3/4" wide.




7.  Since the inspiration shorts have the front panel overlapping the back panel, you will place the wrong side of the front panel over the right side of the back panel.  Line up the topstitching on the front with the finished edge that is folded back.  The picture below shows where I already stitched it but I thought it might convey what you need to do a little better.



Mark 4 inches down as that will be where you end the topstitching that holds the panels together. 



8.  Mark your topstitching line on the front of the shorts with a chalk pencil or disappearing marker.   Topstitch along the existing topstitched line along the ruffle, across, and back up to the top. 



This is how the join will look on the inside of the shorts:



Now all you have to do is construct the waist bands following the instructions for the Class Picnic Shorts and you'll have your own pair of ruffle shorts!

I'm not done with the gray pair yet but wanted to share the tutorial while it was fresh in my mind.:)


PR&P:  Color Challenge:  True Blue

20 comments:

  1. Great work! I love the JCrew shorts and your pair with the O+S pattern is a dead ringer!
    - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so much like the "real" thing. Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin! They were fun to do and both girls really like the shorts.:)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to do this tutorial. It's really simple to follow and your instructions are clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cindy! I don't own this pattern yet, but after seeing your version, I could be tempted! They're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooooooo helpful,thanks Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this!! I will be giving this a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This process seems like it might be easier than the picnic shorts that are top stitched with a flat front. Thank you. I want to get a ruffle foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ruffler foot is really nice! I don't have one personally but luckily my mom's sewing room is not very far from us and we're over there at least once a week. It's a lot quicker and more even than gathering by hand. But I did do the white shorts with 2 rows of basting stitches, pulled to gather.:) Thanks!

      Cindy

      Delete
  8. Thought I would let you know I pinned this and it has gone off!
    You are famous baby!
    (No weirdo's,I checked)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You are famous baby!"
      heh, heh...Thanks, Nicole.:)

      Delete
  9. Just came across your lovely blog! These are such cute shorts! I just made some basic shorts but now I want to make these for one of my little ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! I think ruffles add a little whimsy to shorts.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  10. Thanks Cindy!! I can't wait to try! Is the ruffle foot for a regular machine or a serger? (You did use a serger for at least part of it, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you've done to these shorts! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I'm about to put these on my kick off post for Shorts on the Line! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Cindy- I just finished 2 pair (one for each girl) up to this point. I still have to attach waistbands and finish- but your tutorial is GREAT!! I love them. I like them even better than the original class picnic pattern- I don't know if I will ever make them any other way!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok so attempting to follow your tutorial and am I assuming correctly that you don't cut contrasting panels at all? The rest seems clear I was just wondering if I had missed a step? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!