Sunday, May 27, 2012

Summer Sewing

Oliver + S Swingset Tunic and Puppet Show Shorts

I stepped out of my comfort zone to sew up a birthday gift for a little girl turning 4 this weekend.  I used fabric from my stash (cotton floral from Jo-ann's and Lisette twill) to make a summer outfit.  I've only sewn the Swingset Tunic once before and I got stuck a little with the back button placket.  Luckily, I remembered that there was a tutorial for it on the Oliver + S Blog HERE.  We did tuck a little toy and a pair of sunglasses in with the outfit.  I hope the birthday girl (and her mom) likes it!

I don't think I ever shared this little top:

 



It was one of my many muslins for the Sandbridge Top.  This particular one was sewn up in a rib knit vs. the cotton/lycra jersey that I used for the final top(s).  In addition to the 2 tops I made using the sky blue stars fabric, I made a pink one to coordinate with MG's pink trim shorts out of raspberry pink interlock. 


All 4 of the tops have been getting a lot of wear.  For MG, the top(s) have enough of a "sleeve" to meet her school's dress code but are still cool enough for the hot and humid weather.:)

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful outfit! I am sure they will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the outfit Cindy - a Rey lovely present and a lucky birthday girl. And the girls' tops are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful birthday present which I'm sure will be loved!!! Love the colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet!!! Lovely job - I want to see the back!! Seriously, where to you buy Oliver + S patterns? I can't find them in Canada - I guess I better try to order them or something. If you were to choose your top 3 favourite Oliver + S patterns, what would they be?? :)

    Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great birthday present! And I love all the tops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely outfit Cindy!
    The two girls look great..the tops are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the swingset + puppet show combo. I can't wait until they release the pdf (I have the bigger size, but the big girl is too big) and the twins will be getting many of these this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittney! Deb and I think Mel have made several of the swingset + puppet show combo and I love how the 2 patterns look together.:)

      Delete
  8. The outfit is very sweet - and adding a little toy is a good idea for a 4 year old!
    I have that starfish fabric but couldn't decide if it looked too pajama-y or beach cover up-y. But now I know it really does look good as a top!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!