Thursday, May 31, 2012

Swim Lessons!

I'm behind the eight ball folks and didn't make new swimsuits (yet) for my girls.  But Miss BK did get a new coverup and I got to try a new pattern!




The new pattern is from Sewing Modkid Style by Patty Young.  It's the "swim cover-up" and I sewed a size 6.  The fabric is a stretchy terry that I purchased last year from Jo-ann Fabrics.  Per the pattern, I finished the sleeve and hood edges with FOE (fold over elastic).  I left off the kangaroo pocket as I was in a hurry.  *hanging my head in shame* which also explains why there's a ridgey hem since I didn't take the time to unroll the curled edge of the fabric as I was stitching 
 Naughty me!

But I did finish the cover up in time for the little girls' swim lessons. 


MG's is from last year.  It was a Burda pattern for a hooded top that I lengthened to hit mid thigh.  That one was another rush job and I totally winged it when finishing the opening.  I had finished the sleeves with a rolled hem originally but really liked the FOE on BK's so I went back (15 minutes before we had to leave no less!) and applied hot pink FOE to hers.  We won't discuss how crappy  great a job I did on that.


apres swimming

the girls were standing in clover and BK was keeping an eye on the honeybees:)

17 comments:

  1. Nice. Where do you get FOE from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I purchased mine from Sewzanne's Fabrics: http://sewzannesfabrics.com/products01.php?view=boxview&family=fold over elastic&display=name&pg_s=0

      It's 50 cents a yard. I had purchased some of every color a few years ago and that was what I had on hand to use for the coverup(s).

      Delete
  2. Amazing!
    Running four children to school and sports,renovating your home and not to mention the day to day stuff AND you sew and do tutorials.
    Amazing Cindy-in awe!
    x Nicole
    PS I don't do the sport pick up,Jed does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Now you live on a farm and have 5 kids...you are just as amazing if not more so!lol I wish John was off of work in time to do some of the sport pick ups. I'm afraid it falls to me and my mom.:)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness- those two are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen sister, WE DO NOT JUDGE HERE. You are talking to the girl who made her kid's tooth fairy pillow the day AFTER she lost her tooth. Emergency sewing - I get it. You did a lovely job and i like the FOE - I've never used it but am putting it on the list of things to try!

    Also on the list of things to try - check this out!! http://www.lilblueboo.com/forums/showthread.php?955-quot-spiral-quot-skirts-on-dresses/page2

    See how I derail selfish sewing? Oh yes I do. :)

    Talk to you soon!

    Christy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ma'am!:) FOE is a nice way to finish knits. It can be a little tricky to apply, zig zagging over it seems to work best.

      Ah, that skirt is adorable! Finding tutorials/ideas like that will quickly derail any "selfish sewing".;)

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. I think they both look fab, Cindy and am super impressed that you did them in so little time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That terry is so pretty! I think you did a great job. From here they do not look rushed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! P.S. I bought that book way back when you told me about it. I reeeeally need to pull it out and make something! :) do books count in the pattern stash challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brittney! They should as I have a lot of sewing books that I haven't sewn much from!;)

      Delete
  8. Well I'm totally impressed that despite a reno project in your house plus doing all the mom stuff for 4 kids, that you actually found time and energy to whip out a swim cover-up. Which looks just great btw. And the hot pink FOE is a nice addition and looks just fine too. Start writing the acceptance speech for your supermom award!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That ridgey hem looks very effective from where I'm sitting. I was hoping you'd share how you did it.. and you did... LOL!!! Both swim cover ups look fabulous, Cindy. I haven't sewn with terry towelling for a long time and it looks like it's come a long way... beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like these cover up, Cindy. I ought to make one for Clara.

    I've noticed that JoAnn is carrying FOE in lots of colors now, too. It is in the "Baby Boutique" section where they have cute PUL prints and poly snaps. WHY didn't they have all this when I was sewing diapers????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute coverups - especially the new one with the extra details. I've purchased fabric for some cover-ups for the girls, but didn't think about using them at swimming lessons (in addition to the beach). I've misplaced the pattern at the moment, but it's essentially a rectangle with a head hole and a hood attached to it. (I'm thinking it won't be as cute as yours, hehe!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great idea,thanks for sharing!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!