Sunday, June 17, 2012

DIY Carpet Binding

When we were ripping out our old carpet in anticipation of the new laminate flooring, we saved the carpet from what was formerly our living room aka kids' hang out room.  That carpet was in decent shape unlike the family room's carpet...



Carpet from Family Room


Nastiness that was under Family Room carpet

See why I wanted to rip the carpet out??


I knew that the carpet's raw edges would need to be finished.  We have 4 sets of busy hands that like to pick at things like raw carpet edges and make a mess.  I did find an interesting product called Instabind in my online searches.  But since we were reusing our 10 year old carpet to make rugs, I didn't want to invest more than $20 in this project.  Instead, I went with this tutorial involving burlap and a hot glue gun.
 
A few notes:
I used a 2 temp hot glue gun that I bought from Wal-mart on the hot setting and multi-temp glue sticks.  I purchased my burlap from Joann Fabrics.  The burlap retails for $3.99/yard. 

I took pictures along the way to share as the original tutorial only shows the finished project.


This is what I started with...




I cut my strips of burlap 8 inches wide and the length of the carpet's raw edges.  I then made them into double fold binding (press the strips in half lengthwise, then fold the raw edges to the center fold line and press, fold the burlap on the original press line and press again). 

You're going to open up your binding and slide half of it underneath the edge of your carpet. 


Apply hot glue to the edge of the carpet and press the binding into it. 




Be aware that hot glue is indeed HOT.



I discovered along the way that if you run your hand down the edge, you can smooth out where it's gets a little wavy or bumpy.



When you're done with a side, roll the carpet over a little so you can repeat the process on the wrong side.




Here's what a completed side looks like:




As you can tell, our house is still in a state of disorder!




And here's what the finished carpet looks like.  The side on the bottom of the picture is a little wavy as I didn't have the hand smoothing light bulb moment until after I had finished that side.  I also was very lazy in how the corners were finished....I overlapped them.  

The process is relatively easy though it's hard on your back!  Or perhaps I was still sore from helping reinstall the kitchen flooring.  Anyhow, it's an inexpensive option and has held up to the kids and dog just fine for the last 2 weeks. :)
 
May 2013 Update:  It's still holding up well.  I've had to re-glue a few spots and replace one side that got torn up by the vacuum cleaner but otherwise, it looks just the same as it did when I first put the diy binding on!:)
 
Linking up to:  Threading My Way
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Looks great! Now go change your name to Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nice idea. It looks great. So...if you're not binding necklines and armholes, you're binding carpet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I have been looking for an inexpensive way to create and bind my own stair runners from pieces of carpet and this is PERFECT!!! YOUR A SAINT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that this post could be a help!

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. WOW, Cindy... clever girl!!! Is there anything you can't do??? You have saved yourself a heap of money by binding the carpet instead of buying a rug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've hot glue gunned burned before OUCH! We are getting ready to transition a room too- this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is such a unique idea thanks for sharing! when I use a hot glue gun I keep a container of ice water near my working space so I can dunk my finger in the water before it burns too deep! Your blister looked awfully painful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a unique idea thanks for sharing! when I use a hot glue gun I keep a container of ice water near my working space so I can dunk my finger in the water before it burns too deep! Your blister looked awfully painful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea...I'll have to make sure I keep some ice water handy next time I use the hot glue gun. Yeah, that burn was very painful! Thanks!

      Cindy

      Delete
  9. Thank-you. I was wondering if hot glue would be a possibility and you've answered my question. enJOYing your post because I saw it over at Pam's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever, clever girl! Love how finished this looks! It was well worth the glue gun burn, though Ouch! it looks like that really hurt. I've noticed that hot glue takes a lonnnnng time to dry when burlap is involved. Not sure what it is, something about the fibers. It's definitely a hazardous material to work with, but oh so purdy in the end. Love!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!