Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer Nightgowns

My little girls love to wear nightgowns.   And I have to admit, nightgowns are perfect for hot summer nights.  

Last year's summer nightgowns have been making an appearance almost every night here recently so I knew it was time to sew up a few more.

KS 3105 Nightgowns
Last year's nightgowns XS

Summer 2012:

MG
BK


I used the same pattern as last year (Kwik Sew 3105) but went ahead and traced off a size small.  I skipped adding the ruffle and did a rolled hem instead.  I also finished the neckline and armholes with FOE (fold over elastic). 

The white nightgowns were made out of a Roxy print from Girl Charlee.  It's a soft cotton jersey but also quite thin.  It's also a major PITA to sew.  If you look closely at MG's nightgown, the bodice is quite a bit shorter than BK's.  (I know the photos aren't fab, I took them on my iPhone.)  Despite my careful pinning and going slow, I managed to catch the bodice with the left serger needle as I was attaching the gathered front.  I tried very carefully with the seam ripper to fix my boo boo but the fabric ended up with a few holes.  I gave up and took a wide (really wide!) seam allowance.  They are meant for sleeping so who cares if the nightgowns are perfect, right? 

I'm tempted to order some more of the fabric ($2/yard!) as it's perfect for the little girls' nightgowns but I don't know if I'm willing to sew with it again.

I made 2 more out of a cotton jersey print from Hancock Fabric's.  This fabric has been in my stash for at least 3 years (yay for stash bustin'!).  It was a lot easier to sew with too. 








The girls are good to go with their new nightgowns and my fabric stash is a little lighter.  Time to get busy on the pattern stash bustin'!

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! And they look really comfortable. I've never tried FOE. Is it easy to sew with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, they look so comfy. They're on my 'never-ending' list ! Our summers never seem to be long or warm enough. Hope you're enjoying that gorgeous weather you seem to be having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so sweet!! I love them; Anika would too. I'll have to hunt down that pattern.

    On another note, you know what I have figured out is almost impossible to find here?? FOE. I KNOW.

    Grr. Love the nightgowns!! (Or "sleeping dresses" as Ani calls them. Hee.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great pattern. I use the other view for their flannel winter nightgowns.:)

      I have yet to find it in a store locally but Sewzanne's Fabrics and The Fabric Fairy both carry a selection online.

      Delete
  4. I made a night gown recently out of some material that sounds like what you described in the white ones, really thin and kind of slippery knit. It was a PITA! I ended up pinning the heck out of it, sewing inside the seam allowance a bit and then serging over the top. I almost never take the time to sew first on knits but I didn't want to risk a pin getting tangled up with my newly serviced serger >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to take a chance with a newly serviced serger either! At least my little girls like the nightgowns even if I look at the white ones and cringe.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. I've often had to make wider seams than planned, due to mistakes... LOL!!! No one will notice, least of all the girls. My favourite is the blue jersey.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!