Friday, June 29, 2012

Tankini Time, Take 2

The following swimsuit was started back in March.  I completely screwed up the original bottoms which were sewn out of the stripe and ended up tossing them.  However, I held on to the finished top (Kwik Sew 3785 made into a tankini top) in hopes that one day I'd get around to making matching or coordinating bottoms.  Well that day, came today...


Both fabrics are from Chez Ami which coincidentally is having a 25% off sale on their fabrics.   The bottoms were made using Kwik Sew 3605 in a size small.





For the seams, I used a new to me serger that a friend brought me.  It was in her mother's house and her mom wanted to get rid of it.  I'm so glad that she thought of me!



I'm still figuring the serger out but I think it does a pretty good job.  The Singer Serger wouldn't have been my first choice if I was purchasing one but you can't beat free!


I went back and stitched the seams with my sewing machine too but I always double stitch swimsuit seams so it wasn't a big deal.  And being able to serge the lining to the main fabric was sweet.:) 




This is not the end of swimsuit sewing....I have at least 2 more planned!

I've linked this and most (if not all) of my swimsuit posts at Threading My Way's Swimwear Link Party HERE  If you have any swimwear that you've sewn, Link Up!:)

11 comments:

  1. I really like it with stripes and dots! And I have that same serger. It wasn't my first choice either, but for the price (yours free so even better) that is what my budget allowed at the time. It has held up so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on the reviews, the serger doesn't sound so great. But I just put it to the test going over a ton of layers and it didn't skip a stitch.;) Thanks, Brittney!

      Delete
  2. Yay on the new serger! I just serge my swimsuit seams and they've been fine. The coverstitched seams have come undone occasionally, though - as they do for normal clothes, too.
    All these kids of sewing fanatic moms have matching suits - different patterns, but the same fabrics, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the coordinated fabrics! I will be trying a bathing suit pattern out soon, my first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the cutest swimsuit fabrics! (And models, of course :) I'm still holding out on a serger; maybe my unconscious thinks it'll get one for free, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Thanks! A serger has been on my want list for a long time. I do have access to my mom's 2 Bernina sergers but there are times it would have been nice to have one home.:) I need to find a good place to keep this one...right now, it's on the floor but if I'm using it I pick it up and place it in front of my sewing machine.

      Delete
  5. I love how you've put large dots with the stripes, even if it wasn't in your original plan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you line a swimsuit, do you just cut the lining the same as the fabric and treat both as one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your combination of dots and stripes, and what a thoughtful friend for passing on the serger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good! I'll have to do an extra stitching line on the next suit I do (I haven't blogged about the one I made yet!) because I've noticed some of the serging stitches coming loose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all, I am the founder of www.thebrandora.com , your blog is very interesting, it give me lots of inspiration to building my web site, please also take at look at the tankini at www.thebrandora.com/tankini to find out more about the brandora and more trendy tankini, thanks for coming and enjoy the tour

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!