Monday, June 4, 2012

Water, Water Everywhere

I apologize for the lack of sewing posts. 

I've really wanted to be able to share something, anything really, sewing related but Murphy's Law has broken out at the ol' Siestas & Sewing homestead.

What is Murphy's Law you ask?

Murphy's Law:   the law or principle that if anything can go wrong, it will

 
In our case, this morning the following occurred:
  • the dog had a poopie accident (she's old and apparently becoming incontinent) on the freshly cleaned carpet remnants turned area rugs that we had just put back in the house on the newly installed laminate floor

  •  I walked into the kitchen to gather supplies to deal with the aforementioned accident and I notice the flooring in the kitchen is rather squishy

  • The hose that runs water into the ice maker in the freezer has come loose and there is a crap load of water in, on, and under our new laminate floor

  • As if that is not enough, it was time for me to take my oldest to her orthodontist appointment and I. could. not. find. my. keys.

It takes quite a bit to make me cry but this morning's challenges did it.  Luckily, I was able to get a hold of my husband at work before he had left the shipping center (he drives a semi truck for a major freight  company).  And a neighbor loaned me her car so I could get K to her appointment in time. 

By the time I got back home, John had already started tearing the wet boards out.



There was at least 1/2 inch of standing water behind the fridge. 

All because this little yellow fellow came loose...




It's all been dealt with to the best of our abilities.  John, BK, and I went back to the store to re-purchase the 5 boxes of flooring that we had (naively) returned on Saturday.  We have several fans blowing at the cabinets and such to dry out the lingering dampness.  Hopefully, this weekend everything will have dried up and we can replace what was ripped out.  *fingers crossed*
 
So, has Murphy been bothering anyone else recently or has he taken up permanent residence at our house?;)
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Not currently, but I had a horrible water incident in Dec 2010. My daughter was born earlier in the month and 3 days before Christmas, a water pipe upstairs burst and we only discovered it when a flood of water tore a hole in the kitchen ceiling. So we had to cut off the water to the house - with a newborn - that I exclusively pumped for - and I cloth diapered - not just her, but her sister who is 1 1/2 years older. Do you know how hard it is to get a plumber and someone to dry out the ceiling 3 days before Christmas? We ended up getting disposables for the duration and I was squeezing milk directly into bottles in the bathroom because I couldn't clean the breast pump equipment.

    Hope your floor dries up quickly. Put a fan on high speed over it non stop until it does (if you aren't already doing that already).

    On a side note, I tried the FOE and loved it. I ordered a bunch to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's horrible! I couldn't imagine coping with a water damage situation like that with a newborn + a toddler. Hats off to you! Our floor seems to be dry but we're keeping the fans on it to make sure. Hopefully, we can reinstall the floor this weekend.

      Glad that you like the FOE! It makes for a really nice finish.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  2. Oh, Cindy, that's terrible! I hope the rest of you summer goes much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, I am so so sorry for you and cross with you!
    Murphy often takes up residence in my house too.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the outbreak of chicken pox, I'd say he's been hanging out there!

      CM

      Delete
  4. Cindy, what a horrible thing to happen. Fingers crossed here for you too, that it dries quickly. Not a fan of Murphy either, knows how to pick his moments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get everything dried and fixed up soon, Cindy!!! Murphy's not welcome here, but he hangs around, particularly where a leaking roof is concerned... problem after problem, thanks to a builder a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that sounds majorly stressful. I hope things return to norma soon! Murpy's law at work here: DD is sick for the 4th time since Easter (one was bronchitis, one pneumonia, fingers crossed the current cold will pass without complications). Wishing for good nerves for all mommies out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Uta! I hope that it stays a simple cold and doesn't develop into anything more serious.

      Delete
  7. Aghhh!! Hope tomorrow is a little less stressful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you poor things - at least that's a run of three things - that's usually the way it works. Good times from here on for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man!!! That's so frustrating - I'm really really sorry that happened. I hope it's drying out okay and your floors are okay! GRRRR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's better now when we were only *almost* done with the flooring than 6 months from now. With a little luck, it'll all be back to normal by the weekend.:)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!