Thursday, July 12, 2012

Petite Flower

Australian Smocking & Embroidery issue 63 "Petite Flower"

I started this dress not long after the first of the year in 2011.  It was supposed to be BK's Easter dress that year but boy, did that smocking take a lot longer than I had anticipated!




I don't think I finished the smocking until almost the end of the year.  Then I misplaced the rest of the fabric so I couldn't finish the dress.  But as I was putting the house back together following the flooring install, the aqua voile was found.




BK has grown ALOT over the past year and there was no way the size 4 that had been traced off originally was going to fit her...or the biggest size (5) that the pattern came in for that matter.  I did a little tweaking with the pattern pieces and enlarged the bodice so she could finally wear her Easter 2011 dress.:)





The fabric is a poly/cotton voile heavy on the poly.  It was part of a huge order I'd placed with fabric.com and while I love the color, I'm not so happy with the fabric.  Especially for this dress.  But I was bound and determined to finish it.  And who cares if I got lazy and didn't line the skirt part of the dress??   She can wear her white linen Class Picnic ruffle shorts under it!  (until I sew a slip)




In case you were wondering, the real BK did show up at the end of our mini photo shoot...



Dirty feet!!

14 comments:

  1. She is so gorgeous, and wow, what incredible, detailed work. I was not a huge fan of smocking before but this really changes my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that is a lot of smocking !!!
    such super gorgeous aqua voile !
    you are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the smocking!!! That's something that's been on my 'To Do' list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! This smocking is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Sarvi - this is gorgeous and has made me change my mind about smocking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your smocking looks terrific.
    If you ever use voile like this for a smocking project again, you could line it with batiste and run the two pieces through the pleater thus smocking through 2 layers.
    I have similar colour lawn on my cutting table destined to be a smocked dress once I decide on the floss colours. I like your choices and just might copy you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The smocking is beautiful! I'm glad you could make it work with a larger sized bodice. Hopefully she'll get some good wear out of it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy! I was really worried for a bit that all that work would be for naught. I'm glad that the dress will get some wear. MG can always wear it next year too.:)

      Delete
  8. Wow! It's beautiful! I'm glad it still fits :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I am soooooo glad that you finished that dress! Your smocking is beautiful and deserves to be worn! The color is really lovely. There is a slip pattern in an old AS&E that uses a strappy undershirt as the top. All you would need to do is to add a gathered skirt and 'presto' you have a slip! Your children are fabulous, by the way! Aren't you blessed that each one is so different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! That's a wonderful idea for a slip...I'll have to look into it.:)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!