Friday, July 13, 2012

Plaid Shorts

When MIP came out with the Long Board Shorts pattern, it was love at first sight.  P immediately wanted a pair just like what was on the pattern envelope.  Sadly, even the larger size range is too small for my boy. 

I also didn't have the fabric that Toni used for her pair.  I had remembered seeing it at Joann Fabrics but by the time I was ready to purchase some, they no longer had any.  I scoured the Internet but didn't have much luck. 

I was beginning to think that I would never be able to make P his shorts when a surprise package arrived from Australia with 2 yards of DS Quilts Collection Fabric- Fairgrounds Plaid Blue/Green plus a few sweet treats.  Thanks to Justine I was able to make a similar pair of shorts.




I used the Oliver + S Sketchbook Shorts pattern in a size 12 and made a few small modifications to give them more of the surfer/skater/football player vibe my son wanted. 



  • waistband is a rib knit and I added 1/2" width and  took 1 1/2" of length off of the Pattern Piece
  • 1 1/2" elastic inside the rib knit waistband
  • added 3" to the length of the shorts
  • buttonholes and twill tape tie in the front of the waistband
  • 2 rows of top stitching on the side seams and the pocket edges
  • smaller pleats on the front of the shorts









13 comments:

  1. THESE ARE AWESOME!!!!!!! LOVE!!!!!!!!

    Someday I'm just going to mail you some money and tell you to buy me a bunch of Oliver+S patterns and also some FOE because I can't find either of those things here :).

    Can you do me a favour? It's a long story but I'm trying to make some similar pants/shorts/whatevertheyares for some boys that I'm sewing for (summer swap thing on the LBB site). I'm trying to figure out what an inseam should be for a 4 year old size and an 8 year old size. I was guessing like 13" ish for 8 year old - but can you tell me what the inseam is on these so I can figure this out? What would your guess be for a four year old size?

    THANK YOUUUUUU!!!! And love these. Want to make for Sammo :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Great for older boys. I will have to make some for 9 year old. A trip to the fabric store is must now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lined up the pattern perfectly, Cindy!!! Love the fabric and I like the waistband in the rib knit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mods, Cindy - so glad that Patrick got the shorts he wanted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He put them on again yesterday so I'd say they are a definite hit!

      Delete
  5. Great shorts! The fabric is so cheerful, and the fit is spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uta! Finding fabric in a print that appeals to older boys is hard...I'm lucky that Justine sent the fabric to me.:)

      Delete
  6. Cindy, I love these, and the fabric is perfect. I need to stock up on some checks and make more shorts. You did a great job matching the checks too, not easy on that curved seam. the Ottobre 6/2009#27 pattern is very like these except for being trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great shorts! I love the plaid. Too bad my boys refuse to wear plaid shorts. Tan is so boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! P surprised me with how much he likes plaid shorts! He also has a store bought pair that he wears quite a bit.:)

      Delete
  8. Yay!!! Just saw you are the judges choice 3rd place over at 'Shorts on the Line'. Congrats, Cindy!!! Enjoy your prizes...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!