Friday, July 6, 2012

Racerback Cover Up

K has been in need of something to wear over her swimsuit that was long enough to cover her bottom.  Often times, the girls will change by the car after a day spent at the beach.  (we typically visit beaches where there are no public facilities)  When you're little like BK and MG, a quick change in the back of the minivan is no trouble.  But when you're 5' 5", it starts to get a little difficult.   This is our solution:




I used the free racerback dress pattern from Crafter Hours.  It only goes up to a size 8 but I made a few changes to ensure it would fit K who is 13 years old.  Turns out I didn't need to do most of the modifications as I ended up having to take the sides in!



My mods: 
  • 1 inch added to the fold line of the lower and upper back plus the front
  • dropped armhole 1/2 inch
  • made the front neckline 3/4 inch lower
  • added 2 inches to the overall length
  • rolled hem on my mom's serger

The only mods I should have done:  lowering the front neckline, lengthening/rolled hem, and adding the inch to the 2 back pattern pieces.  Live and learn.:)

I used a cotton/lycra french terry print that I believe came from The Fabric Fairy last year.  The binding is turquoise interlock that my mom had in her fabric stash. 

The coverup hasn't been put to the test of roadside changing (tomorrow!) but it served K well at the local water park.  She likes it so much than upon returning home and getting out of her swimsuit, she put the coverup back on. 






Linking up to:  Threading My Way

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good solution. Not sure what it is about that fabric, but it really appeals to me. Blue is the perfect colour to use as binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see some solid white and solid black versions for the Twins this summer!
    Gorgeous Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! It comes together really quickly too which is nice.

      C

      Delete
  3. Really cute!!! I love racerbacks - that's awesome Cindy! I also love the ability to change children on the fly. Great solution, and it's really sweet on her.

    Christy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christy! One of these days I'll get around to making the little girls a couple.:)

      C

      Delete
  4. I was pretty surprised at the width of that pattern as well, but (since my kids are smaller) once I adjusted a little for that I've really found that pattern highly useful (I just made my sixth variation of it last night, as a matter of fact). My kids responded the same way, it's totally their Go To shirt/dress now. Your version looks great and sounds like a great parking lot changing solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link, Cindy! Hope it works well for changing... and I feel really short now, being I am only 5'4"... no more growing here! :) Now to find the time to make one or three:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K keeps shooting up! We swapped shoes today for church...I wore her flip flops as they matched my casual, knit dress and she wore my black sandals with heels. I wouldn't be surprised if she surpasses me in height before too long (I'm 5' 9").

      They're a really quick sew...you'll churn out one or 3 in no time!

      Delete
  6. This is great - think they'll be one (or two) of these at my house too once summer hits :-)
    Off to check link....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely easy to wear. K wants another one so I'll have to dig through my stash and see what's there that meets her approval.:)

      Delete
  7. oh this is great - the more i see of this pattern, the more i want to make it! very cute and i'm sure she'll wear it a ton this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's perfect for throwing over a swimsuit. K put it to the test yesterday at the beach and it worked perfectly.

      Delete
  8. A very flattering dress for any age--but teenagers are especially hard to sew for, I'd imagine. She looks lovely in it. I can't believe she's 5'5"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is trickier sewing for her as she has a definite opinion (which is good!). I find with her it's easiest to have her pin or show me styles in ready-to-wear that she likes. Then I can find patterns to copy the look. I'm 5' 9" and her dad is 6' 5" so it won't surprise me a bit if she ends up close to 6'!

      Cindy

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!