Thursday, July 26, 2012

Shorts on the Line for ME

Shocking, huh?

I have sewn dresses and tops for myself but never ventured into the pants/shorts realm except for one horrific experience in Junior High Home Ec that left a deep and long lasting fear of sewing pants. 

I have overcome that fear.



pattern:  Ottobre Design 2/2002 #40 "Hot Pants"
fabric:  cotton twill from Joann Fabrics
bonus:  This is the first Ottobre pattern I've sewn for myself AND my copy of this issue is in German (I don't speak/read German)!


I used an old bed sheet to do a muslin before cutting into the "real" fabric.  The fit was pretty good so I didn't make any changes other than adjusting the length.  This pattern comes in 3 lengths:  hot pants, bermudas, and capris.  I generally like my shorts with an inseam between 5 and 7 inches.  These are in the middle of the hot pants and bermuda length. 


as you can see, I didn't wear a bikini (much) at the beach last week





The only thing I don't like about these shorts is how high they come up.  I much prefer a mid-rise in my shorts.  Next time around, I'll drop the waist 2 inches lower or so.  Oh, I did make one small alteration...I cut the waistband on the fold instead of cutting 2.

These fit so much better than the ready-to-wear shorts that are in my wardrobe.  And they were really not that difficult to sew. 



17 comments:

  1. And they look great! Love the fit of them, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Justine! I've been wearing ill fitting shorts all summer long so it's nice to have a pair that fits.

      Delete
  2. They look really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fit looks great, particularly for a first pair! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They fit perfectly, Cindy, so I imagine they are really comfortable. I'm sure this will be the first of many!!! I blame my lack of cooking skills on an awful Home Economics teacher... LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look fantastic on you, Cindy! I need to have another go at shorts for myself. The Collete shorts that I made are too big. Wish me luck on the next size down :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omigosh those are amazing! I'm so scared of sewing shorts (or pants) for myself. But these look so great on you! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I just got real lucky that the first pattern I tried worked so well for me. I was all ready to analyze fit issues and lo and behold, there were none.:)

      Delete
  7. Well done, especially on the German instructions :-) Great fitting, great looking shorts. I lack the routine in "serious" (zipper fly and all) pants sewing, but it's a nice thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one issue we have that isn't an english translation.;) Thanks! Maybe if I keep this up, I'll be able to participate in the Me Made May and Self Stitched September going ons. Maybe.

      Delete
  8. I'm in awe as always. Great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these turned out great ~ they fit perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fit on these is so good. Aren't you glad you've done all that kid sewing, so the only thing you had to think about here was fitting? And that didn't seem to be a problem, either. My copy of this issue is in Finnish, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fit on these shorts is excellent! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I might need to pick up a copy of that Ottobre. Great shorts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!