Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Slipcover, Finally!

I've been talking about making a slipcover since 2009.  That's 3 years ago, people!  I have pinned slipcovers, followed blogs of people that sew slipcovers, and joined a sewalong for slipcovers. I've even gone so far as to purchase the fabric for the sewalong.

But did a slipcover get sewn?  Nope. 

That is until this past week...




I did eventually follow Sandra's fabulous sewalong on sewingmamas.com (about 6 weeks later).  She breaks the steps down into easy and workable chunks.   Just like she did, I used painter's drop cloths.  I purchased 2 of the biggest size available at our Home Depot (11 x 15 feet).  They were approximately $30 each.  If When I do this again, I'll probably use the next size down as these were a little heavy and bulky to maneuver.



Before:
before


Our couch was red but fading and starting to come apart on the arms.  It's about 6 years old and definitely starting to show the abuse a family of 6 plus a large dog has inflicted on it.

After:


You can see all kinds of changes in this picture.  Furniture rearranged, new flooring, new area rug with diy binding, and Mr. P has a new haircut just in time for 100 degree days and the start of football season!

I had thought that the main slipcover would be the hardest but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly that went together.  The cushions you sit on were the most time consuming to sew.  I ripped the zippers out of the original ones and reused them.  For the back cushions, I decided to do an envelope style instead of a zipper because it was quicker to sew.:)



And a gratuitous photo of my boys since they wouldn't clear out while I took pictures...


I still have a decent amount of drop cloth left...perhaps enough for the red chair that goes with the couch?

Linking up to:  Threading My Way

13 comments:

  1. Well Martha, you did an amazing job! Slipcovers, rug binding ... is there any end to your foray into home dec?
    Your room has come together nicely; totally updated and lookin' just grand. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Cindy,Very very Country Road Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfy and Pratical...That's how we roll!

      Delete
  3. Great work - I would totally be the same way as you, waiting 3 years to sew it up. Big chunks of fabric can be daunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. that's a large job to tackle, Cindy! No wonder you didn't rush in. Well done on giving the lounge a new lease of life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I meant to make a slipcover once... Used the fabric for curtains and got rid of the couch in the end. Your living room looks great now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...that's how it goes sometimes.:) It feels good to be knocking out the home projects that we (well, truthfully it's been mostly me) have been wanting done for ages.

      C

      Delete
  6. I am impressed that you finally took on such a large-scale challenge! Such a neutral shade too, so you could easily add some fun pillows to change it up even more. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Fun pillows are on the list...I have some bar stools that need recovering and painting for the kitchen and the fabric I'll be using has beach umbrellas all over it. That print would make fun pillows too.:)

      Delete
  7. Wow! You did an amazing job! Those big projects are so intimidating for me, you are brave. It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! I (or rather, my husband and I) have reupholstered a couple of couches, but I think a slipcover would be more work. You can't just staple the pieces to the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! I am so impressed! I have never attempted anything like this. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those projects that turned out to not be as hard as I thought it would be. Thank you, Karen!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!